Shell Dwellers *Now with Pictures*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, came back to school today, from the weekend and found my Albino African Clawed Frog, Freddy, dead :cry:

unfortunately or fortunately i have been thinking that here 20 Long would be the perfect tank for a colony of shell dwellers.

maybe i jinxed her 8O

so i am thinking i will take out the gravel and replace it with sand, add some shells and try my hand at some shell dwellers, i know a local guy who is selling 6 Neolamprologus multifasciatus

since i have never kept multis or any shell dwellers any suggestions on how to set up things for them would be great.

thanks

For a colony of multi's the best setup is simply to cover the bottom with shells. If you make the bed several shells deep, they'll all have plenty of cover and breed like rabbits. An UG filter powered by a hob would be the easiest maintenance.
Alternatively, you could do a sand substrate w/several shells for each fish. Only drawback is that the dominant male won't tolerate any other breeding-size males on his turf, so you will likely be removing extra males sooner or later.

do you think i could get away with some Tanganyika Rainbowfish or should i stick to a species tank?

toddnbecka said:
Not in a 20 long, they're similar to Cyp's regarding swimming space requirements.
ok maybe i should say i have no experience with tangs...so that statement does not mean anything to me :oops: could you explain a little more :wink:

You need at least a 4' tank, though 6' is better, to give them enough room. They also grow relatively large for a 20 long, 4-5", larger if properly cared for. They are active, open-water fish, not rock or shell (territory) oriented.

toddnbecka said:
You need at least a 4' tank, though 6' is better, to give them enough room. They also grow relatively large for a 20 long, 4-5", larger if properly cared for. They are active, open-water fish, not rock or shell (territory) oriented.
i assume you are talking about the Rainbowfish?

Ya, I presumed you meant the Tanganykian killifish (Lamprichthys tanganicus), not rainbows at all, but similar regarding swimming space requirements. You wouldn't stock large rainbow's in a 20 either, even the dwarf praecox would be a bit cramped...

toddnbecka said:
Ya, I presumed you meant the Tanganykian killifish (Lamprichthys tanganicus), not rainbows at all, but similar regarding swimming space requirements. You wouldn't stock large rainbow's in a 20 either, even the dwarf praecox would be a bit cramped...

yea for some reason the link to the page said ranbowfish, but they are killies...here is the page i was looking at http://fish.mongabay.com/aplocheilinae.htm

I use about a half-inch of sand in my multi tanks; use as many shells as you can get (just make sure they're round and not the cone-shaped ones). I've found that escargot shells work the best and can be picked up fairly cheaply in grocery stores or Ebay.

IME, you should be able to keep a fairly large colony (including multiple males) without trouble. Just make sure you get all the multis at once, as these buggers will NOT tolerate "newbies" in the colony, once established.

Prepare to enjoy your shellies: the multi is my favorite freshwater species! :)

well...you snooze you loose i guess, the guy at my local aquarium society that was selling the multis, has sold the multis.

so i will have to look for them someplace else.

i though 6 F1s for $15 was a great deal too :(

That is a really low price, I sell them for $5/each. Cichlidbreeding.com is a good source for shells. You can buy any number, and their prices are just about as good as you'll find anywhere IME. I bought 40 gold-mouth turbo shells for my 55, and received 45. I like them better than escargot shells.

well i found another breeder with a group of 6 F1s for $25, hope to pick them up this weekend

and i ordered 30 of the gold-mouth turbo shells form the Cichlidbreeding.com page

Sure, healthy foods, low in fat/cholesterol... oh, for the fish... :lol:
NLS and/or Omega One are always a good staple diet, supplemented occaisonally with frozen bloodworms and/or brine shrimp. Multi's don't eat algae or other plants, they're little bitty predators.

well i have the tank set up, the substrate is 98% sand and 2% pea gravel (the pure sand just did not look natural to me :?)

here is a pictures
img_799866_0_b8cfaf31e1e610f68f6813c388767fda.jpg

hopefully i will get the shells in the mail soon.

Looks bare, I'd toss in a few strategically placed rocks to break the line-of-sight between some of the shells. That way, you may end up with a couple of pairs or trios after the fish settle in.

toddnbecka said:
Looks bare, I'd toss in a few strategically placed rocks to break the line-of-sight between some of the shells. That way, you may end up with a couple of pairs or trios after the fish settle in.
i was kind of thinking some driftwood with anubis and java fern on it, but would that really be "natural"?

Back
Top Bottom