Should i feed my oscar live things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only as a treat. Live food can carry diseases. I feed my boy silversides which i got in july and i still have them left over

many will tell you no keep them on a pellet diet but i feed my fish live foods like ghost shrimp black worms and guppy and zebra danio fry.... its up to you if you want to feed live but if you do its best to keep them in a small tank watch them and feed them a rich diet so your oscar gets the best

I wouldn't feed them mice, stick with insects or fish. As mentioned if you must use feeders, QT them for a few weeks to be sure they are healthy and feed them with a high quality pellet or flake.

Do they eat pellets in the wild? Lol flakes and pellets should be fed as the reg diet but feeders and ghost shrimp night crawlers (cleaned and emptied) crickets....if you use feeders breed your own feeders sit up a small feeder tank for hippies or I use convicts as they rapidly reproduce and don't eat their fry.

No mice and no goldfish. Goldfish have something to do with a vitamin b deficiency I do believe so that's just askin for trouble.

Oscars love live food, especially night crawlers, I would never feed them mice I have heard its really bad for them and it is not a natural food sorce anyway, they love any kind of bugs, mine used to always enjoy crickets when I fed them to my jardini, and I never fed and live fish but that's because I was to worried about them carrying disease, I fed mine hikari cichlid gold as a staple because it is really good for their colour.

No mice and no goldfish. Goldfish have something to do with a vitamin b deficiency I do believe so that's just askin for trouble.

Correct, goldfish fish contain thiaminase that interferes with the Oscars ability to process and take in vitamin b. Lack of vitamin b in predatory fish has demonstrated neurological disorders.

From this site, there is a list of fish that you shouldn't feed your fish
Thiaminase

If you really want to feed fish, breed your own, and gut load the small fish with spirulina and other food. A convict pair should provide a steady stream of feeders.

i think you are right, when i was raising a lot of snakes this was mentioned for fish eating snakes.. it said that snakes who lived only on goldfish were prone to vit b deficiencies and to add the vits to their drinking water occasionally

I guess ill throw my 2 cents in too :) feeding live can be good for your fish if as stated above your gut loading them with high quality food but I would never feed your fish feeders from the petstore because they tend to carry diseases which can be passed onto your fish.. so if you decide to feed live I highly reccomend you do your own breeding to avoid any issues which I use to do for my snakes :)

Back
Top Bottom