Sick Angelfish, confused Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the last few months, every time I did the PWC my biggest Angel, about 4", would spend the next 2 days swimming with his nose pointed south, not grazing in the gravel but near the surface. But he always flipped around to eat and he'd eat well. Then back over he'd go, then a day & a half later he'd be swimming upright again. This went on for a little over 2 months.

Well, 7 days ago he stopped eating. Generally not eating is a bad sign so I immediately removed him from the tank & put him in QT. I didn't treat him because other than the sudden onset of no appetite, he had no other symptoms.

3 days ago when I was examining him very closely, I noticed that at the base of his fin next to his gill looked abnormally thick & white like the beginnings of a fungus, but that thickened white area also has some even whiter spots on it. It looked like the base of his fin had a small amount of fungus starting with ick growing on the fungus. And to top it off his poop was a milky clear. Nothing I'd ever seen before.

So possible Fungus with possible Parasites, oh crud. For fungus the heat should go down, for parasites the heat should go up, so I let it alone.
I added API Salt for the possible parasites and Epsom's Salt to help clean out what ever that was coming out of him and I added Polyguard for the Fungus. I forgot, before I did all the above I did a 75% PWC, then added all of that stuff. During all of this he's swimming normally and his fins haven't been clamped at all the entire time.

Yesterday, I left the lights off and let him be. Then today as a test I dropped in 5 NLS Cichlid pellets to see if he'd eat. And he did, 3 of them.
It was something anyway, shortly thereafter he started to poop like normal. I thought YAY! Not. 2 hours later he was pooping white again. So I did a 50% PWC, added API & Epsom's Salt, along with another dose of Polyguard and turned off the lights.
The base of his fin looks thinner, more like the fin on his other side. But he's not eating again.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Am I doing the right thing by treating the Fungus & Parasites at the same time?

Is there anything else I could be doing?

I feel like I'm throwing the kitchen sink at him, by trying to fix everything at once.

HEEELLLPPP, PLEEEASE. I feel like I'm in over my head, again. :banghead:

Wendi, I would do a large 75% water change and treat with Jungles Fungus/Parasite Clear simultaneously using 2 rounds of each with a 50% water change in-between treatments, skip the salts but leave the lights out and don't feed anything during treatment...if it's parasites it will make digestion more difficult. This combination works wonders when combined. I use Paragurd for bacterial infections but certain illness those are my one and only choice.

Wendi, I would do a large 75% water change and treat with Jungles Fungus/Parasite Clear simultaneously using 2 rounds of each with a 50% water change in-between treatments, skip the salts but leave the lights out and don't feed anything during treatment...if it's parasites it will make digestion more difficult. This combination works wonders when combined. I use Paraguard for bacterial infections but certain illness those are my one and only choice.

I did an 80% PWC 5 days ago and then added the AIP & Epsom's salts and Seachems Polyguard. And I've had the lights off for a week now.
Then 2 days later I did a 50% PWC and added the salts and Polyguard again.
As of this morning, the white cotton like stuff at the base of Cal's fin and with white salt looking spots are nearly gone. I think with one more big water change and treatment, it will be. Which I'm doing a little later on this evening.
The only thing not changing is the milky/clearish poop. If it was one of my Mbunas I'd suspect bloat, but he's always been flat like an Angelfish should be. I'm not bothering to try and feed him right now, because he's not looking for food like he does normally. I won't feed until he asks for it.
Both the fungus and parasites are nearly gone now, so I'm not as worried about that part of it. It's why his poop is milky/clear that has be both confused and worried.

Back
Top Bottom