So... Need help with this one....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
The internet says that this is a cichlid fish (that's why I put this thread here). But I don't know which type/species is this one. All I know is that the shopkeepers keep telling me that these fish is not friendly in community tank and will attack other fishes as big as this fish or eat the ones smaller than it (which is the type of tank I have at the moment).

This is how it looks like (found a picture in the internet that resembles my fish):

MkGcAWn

I put them inside the tanks already and they didn't attack my other fishes, and looks quite friendly, but the shopkeepers said that when they mature, they will surely attack my other fishes.

Please help me, what should I do with them?? I bought them and I love animals and so I can't just throw them away (I have no other empty fish tank, but I do have empty buckets....).

If the fish you're talking about is the one that Delapool linked...(if the fish i am describing isnt what you linked, then im just dumb i guess. If its not his fish... Well, knowledge)

That is a species of tialpia, not a cichlid. However, it has all the effects of one. It has a horrific attitude, and yea, when its 12"+, it will kill. A lot.

I believe this it the Butti Tialpia, aka Hornet Cichlid (even though its not a cichlid).

They can reach up to 14" and are the African equivalent of a Red Devil. Mean.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The link was from the pic but slightly edited. Hoping I got it right for the OP but would be good if they can confirm else can have another crack at it.

The link was from the pic but slightly edited. Hoping I got it right for the OP but would be good if they can confirm else can have another crack at it.

Yes the picture is right. So it's not a cichlid?? Hmm.... the ones in my tank is very small atm, around 1.5 until 3 cm. And the shopkeeper said that this one won't grow big (that's why I'm asking) and won't be vicious... But later in the future it will be vicious but won't be really big, and he said that this fish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labidochromis_caeruleus will be more vicious than the hornet cichlid (hornet cichlid is called ninety nine in my country for who knows what reason lol xD)

If the fish you got is indeed the Hornet Cichlid, you're in for a rough ride.

You're pet store either has some dumb employees or some really intelligent ones. Basically, they either actually didn't know, or they managed to sell you a big mean fish.

These fish will get to a foot long easily in a couple years, and usually 8-9 inches in their first year of life, by most accounts.

They have horrible aggression. Like, think of the level a Red Devil or Midas has, and thats it. They will kill. No questions asked. People keep these fish alone, because they need massive tanks to be able to mix safely with others. And even then its not for sure.

Not sure if im getting my point through. But yeah. Hornet Cichlid=mean.

I would say keep it in at least a 75, just so it can turn around properly. However, a 125 would be a good tank for it, not essential though. You can try tank mates but be prepared for death.

They eat pretty much the same as American Cichlids, just get some pellets and they will eat. They don't have the same requirements as many of the Africans.

And that fish you linked was called a Yellow Lab. Its is actually quite peaceful as far as Africans go. The Butti will slaughter it.

Really neat fish.

Heterotilapia Buttikoferi family cichlidae.

Just curious why this is not considered a cichlid?

And that fish you linked was called a Yellow Lab. Its is actually quite peaceful as far as Africans go. The Butti will slaughter it.

So it's quite peaceful? Hmm... The internet says that it's pretty territorial, especially the male ones (with the black stripe on it's upper fin??). But I have only 4 of them and all has no black stripe (female??). So yeah, I won't throw them into a quarantined tank.

But what about black tetras??? One of my swordtail fish just died a couple of hours ago and I suspect the hornet, or the black tetra (since the hornet is only 2-3 cm long, so I doubt it's them).

After doing some more research to validate my point, i found that:

It is considered a cichlid

HOWEVER there is debate by some. I was under the impression that it was referred to as a cichlid due to its attitude (very similar to larger Centrals) but it is classed as a cichlid although i would debate it. It apparently has the characteristics but isnt considered to be one by some people.

Im sorry if i screwed anyone up. I had done research on it before and apparently screwed something up. I apologize :)

How big is your fish tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm... Let's say 10-20 gallons, Because I'm just curious about "will they fight if I put them altogether?"

But probably I would put Oscar and flowerhorn fish (3 for each of them is the max, so I can reduce it to 1 for each of them). Then probably 2 hornets (or 1).

HOWEVER there is debate by some. I was under the impression that it was referred to as a cichlid due to its attitude (very similar to larger Centrals) but it is classed as a cichlid although i would debate it. It apparently has the characteristics but isnt considered to be one by some people.

Im sorry if i screwed anyone up. I had done research on it before and apparently screwed something up. I apologize :)

That's some research you got there xD. Well anyway, thanks for the info. But I guess I can call it a cichlid. But then again... If it's not cichlid, then in which family does it belong to??

Hmm... Let's say 10-20 gallons, Because I'm just curious about "will they fight if I put them altogether?"

But probably I would put Oscar and flowerhorn fish (3 for each of them is the max, so I can reduce it to 1 for each of them). Then probably 2 hornets (or 1).

You do realize this fish alone needs a 75 gallon with no tank mates. Buddas are highly aggressive and homicidal typically. Plus they grow quite large. Rehome this one, and don't buy another, or any of those others you listed until you can get a proper sized tank

Can you post some sources on this? Because I've never heard anything about this, and am not turning up anything on google about the subject

Can you post some sources on this? Because I've never heard anything about this, and am not turning up anything on google about the subject

I will try to find it again. I read a page on it, it was months ago and i dont remember the site.

Whenever you type in something in the lines of "is Heterotilapia Buttikoferi a cichlid or tilapia" you just get a bunch if common names.

Im not sure if i can find it, will try.

Back
Top Bottom