South American 75 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know I have been posting a lot the past few days but I think I found my perfect tank stock list so give me your opinions guys so I can get this done!!

A jack Dempsey and green terror with a school of buonos aires tetras.

OR a pair of either the jacks or GT with a school of large tetras.

If this is okay, how many tetras are recommended with a fluval 406 canister filter???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

- Jacks are Central American
- False GTs are South American

Choose one or the other if you'd like long term success for either fish. A pair of JD may get along in a 4' but that maybe pushing it, False GT are much to aggressive to have a pair in a tank that size.

Tetra choice is good shoot for 10-20.

1 406 will be fine while the fish are small but you will need a second later on or a bigger canister like the fx5/6.

[Moderator Edit]. Now I'm running into problems. My girlfriend is begging me for a GT.... I may have no choice. LOL. Any suggestions on cichlids that can hang with the GT in place for the jack?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I wouldn't attempt it in that small of a tank. Single male in a well scapes tank with a nice school of tetra would look nicer than a mismatch of random cichlids

If a green terror would do okay with a school of large tetra would a single flowerhorn and a school of tetra be okay or is the flowerhorn just way too aggressive?

Flower horns are frankenfish and honestly there are so many better looking naturally occurring strains.

Plus they'll get allot larger and there's no way to tell what temperament they'll have .

In my expierence JD's and GT's do very well together in a 75. They are of similiar temperament and size and 75 is plenty of room for them as long as you don't do pairs. Just do one of each and some dithers and you will be all set.

Some people here take location mixing to extremes and wont even mix collection points. I think this is what is driving some the opinions on putting a Jack and Gt together These two fish are often kept together very successfully.

I think each to their own and respect to those that like as natural a tank in terms of keeping the same fish from a particular location. It's certainly got its plus points.

However, as pointed out the average fish keeper isn't going to worry too much about that. My take is as long as the cichlids are from the same continent and have very similar water needs then it's a shame to limit yourself to a few types (unless you have a vast amount of tanks of course).

I keep a JD with a GT and when my 175G is set up they will be going in with an Oscar, Veija Synspilum, Texas, Firemouth and Salvini with some catfish and dithers.

Some people here take location mixing to extremes and wont even mix collection points.

That's not being extreme that's being a conscious minded aquarist/conservationist that believes in keeping lines pure. For all you know two locational variants that were once thought to be the same species turns out to be a new species after further research by ichthyologist. Then if one or the other goes extinct or becomes threatened in the wild and all we have is a hybrid of the two because "it's ok mix them", what happens then?

To clarify when you say "Green Terror" are you referring to 'Aequidens' sp. "Goldsaum" , 'Aequidens' rivulatus, or 'Aequidens' sp. "Silversaum" ?! All three go by the trade name "Green terror" when in fact they are all three very different fish with different temperaments.

Also to say that an aggressive South American fish has the same temperament as the relatively docile (in Central terms) "Jack Dempsey" is wildly inaccurate.

The bottom line is when you mix incompatible fish, one is going to be the aggressor and the others life and quality of that life will be greatly diminished. Don't agree fine, put the two in a 75 and get back to me in 5-10 years and let me know which one is still alive.

Most people assume he is speaking of a Rivulatus because if someone is able to find a Stalsbergi they specify Stalsbergi.

Just because one is SA and the other is CA does not mean they cant be similar. My LFS has an adult JD they cant keep anything with and nobody will buy because of aggression, it depends what you are comparing it to. Both JD and GT range the whole spectrum of aggressiveness.

My GT was actually the most docile fish in my tank. I had them together in a 75 for about a year (both at about 7-8"). The only reason I don't have them anymore is I find both of them very very boring fish. but the fact is those two fish are often kept in tank mates. I even had some firemouths in with them which I still have in the tank. My breeding pair of firemouths ran that tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you are willing to change things if there is a problem, it's worth trying. I think my GT (which is Rivulatus btw) is a female because she has no hump and despite being pretty colourful she's pretty docile. She's about 5"

It's also worth pointing out that keeping 2 potentially aggressive fish in a 75 is far more risky than keeping 6 or 7 in a 175. Aggression is spread out and there's more room to get away.

I do admire the 'conservation' approach that Mog mentions, he undoubtedly does it properly but most do not and I think as long as people make sure the fish are comfortable and safe then that's usually enough. Let's face it, the worlds aquarium trade is so popular because of the range of fish and combinations in a tank that can be achieved and the average fish keeper is not going to show the level of restraint required to do it properly.

Back
Top Bottom