Starting an Earth-eater tank, suggestions wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have an empty 75 gallon and i have decided i want to try my hand at some species of earth-eater cichild...

some of the species i am concidering...
Geophagus proximus
Satanoperca acuticpes
Satanoperca leucosticta
Geophagus winemilleri
Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head"
Geophagus abalios

thoughts on any of these species or a "better" species would be apreciated...

i am thinking of sand substrate, a few rocks and driftwood, MAYBE a few low-light, tough plants.

also what (if any) tank mates might you suggest, i would like a school of tetra but that is not a must

I honestly wouldn't use the sand as a substrate with Geo's. Reasoning is because they syph through the gravel and pick several rocks up with their mouths and basically eat whatever is on the rock and then spit the rock back out. Its like they're washing the rock off in some ways. I have a Geophagus sp. 'megasema' and he does this all the time. Sometimes swallows the rock then it comes out his gills its very interesting. :D

Since geo's are very peaceful not really an ounce of aggresion in them I would tank them up with whatever won't bully them around the tank. Also Geo's tend to breed a lot with their own species (type) I am unaware of if they breed with other type's of Geo's. I think you could get away with a school of tetra's. Good luck with them, they're very cool creatures to watch!

J

J-Aqua said:
I honestly wouldn't use the sand as a substrate with Geo's. Reasoning is because they syph through the gravel and pick several rocks up with their mouths and basically eat whatever is on the rock and then spit the rock back out. Its like they're washing the rock off in some ways. I have a Geophagus sp. 'megasema' and he does this all the time. Sometimes swallows the rock then it comes out his gills its very interesting. :D

Since geo's are very peaceful not really an ounce of aggresion in them I would tank them up with whatever won't bully them around the tank. Also Geo's tend to breed a lot with their own species (type) I am unaware of if they breed with other type's of Geo's. I think you could get away with a school of tetra's. Good luck with them, they're very cool creatures to watch!

J
i would go with just one species, 3-4 individuals, i was thinking a school of cardinals or something

I know a guy from PlecoFanatics that had the most beautiful eartheater set up ever. I'm going to ask him for some pics I can post. It was a 240 gallon (since taken down) and I was....envious.....of him.

These are all from "Joefish" on many lists, including Plecofanatics. He has an eye for beautiful and unusual fish, a flair for tank decor, and obviously fantastic photography skills. To me this is the ideal setup for these fish; it's simple and shows off the fish, while still providing cover and interest.

Three different types of eartheaters. I wanted to get the tank pics up, and one example of each type. JDogg I have more I can send you privately of the individual species if you like-lemme know.

Joe was kind enough to send me these pics and grant me permission to use these photos. Thanks, Joe!

"Tapajos II" #1

img_814079_0_4aaf96ed1c80eaeb8e1933b67101415c.jpg

"Tapajos II" #2

img_814079_1_e88776edfa32af48c0a4f9bce69534ea.jpg

"Altifrons"

img_814079_2_357989682eeba7d15ef3c5c58bd5f4c9.jpg

"Tapajos orange head"

img_814079_3_3334015f370514d360623e32718107c9.jpg

"Tapajos II"

img_814079_4_8f9061546673e7a9bd3a85934440eeef.jpg

"Altifrons"

img_814079_5_cf0e70062095601a2e3cb89f0c89e021.jpg

I would go with the Tapajos Orange Head they grow to a considerably smaller size than other geos and you could probably get five or six in a 75.I kept my geos with both sand and gravel substates. They seemed to be happier with the sand and I lost less fish using it , it must be easier on the gills. My advice would be to use Java Fern or something equally tough I tried various plants and only the fern survived they are very hard on plantlife.

Back
Top Bottom