Stocking a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheapeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
As of tonight I will have a freed up 10 gallon. I have Juvie Black Convicts in it but am upgrading since they outgrew as babies.
My question is what other fish can I easily put into the 10 gallon that are as hardy and easy to care for a the Convicts are? Hoping something with a lot of color.
Oh and how many will be happy in a 10 gallon?
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Sharon in Elk River MN

Last edited:
Shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika--check the sticky in this forum for links. They won't blow you over with color, but their behavior is wonderful. Stocking numbers would depend on the species. For fish besides cichlids post in the general FW forum.

As of tonight I will have a freed up 10 gallon. I have Juvie Black Convicts in it but am upgrading since they outgrew as babies.
My question is what other fish can I easily put into the 10 gallon that are as hardy and easy to care for a the Convicts are? Hoping something with a lot of color.
Oh and how many will be happy in a 10 gallon?
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Sharon in Elk River MN

You might want to consider one of the apistogramma species. Some of them can be kept in a 10 gallon tank and most are very colorful. You would be limited to at most two or three though.

I vote with Menagerie. The shell dwellers are an awesome fish!
me too.
Lamprologus multifasciatus these are my fav. they only grow to about 1.5" it is beatuiful and Menagerie is the one who told me about shell dwellers awsume fish thanks Menagerie.

ok that would be something totally different then what I am used to. never even heard of the last 2 fish mention LOL. I will look them up online and see what they are and how to care for them.

If you decide to go with apistos, a trio would be best. Make sure you have clay pot caves for them too.

well I was thinking more on the lines of Glofish until I found out they are just Zebra danios. I already have 3 of those and dont like them.
Some I'm still searching for something. I'm in no hurry so I can research and find exactly what I want.

Back
Top Bottom