Synspilum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi so I bought this breeding pair of synspilum from my local aquarium they had just got them in (the photo is of them in the shop)
They have now been in my aquarium for about a week. The male spends most of his time behind a rock and the female is out and about more. The female Is feeding however the male hardly ever comes out and doesn't at feeding time so I'm worried he isn't eating. They both also are extremely colourful at the moment which im guessing is due to stress. Hopefully they will colour up soon. They currently share the tank with 3 australian salmontail catfish, and a school of silver dollars. How long does it generally take them to colour up in a new tank and for them to feel comfortable coming out? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412347155.427958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For starters, there is no one answer as to how long it takes a fish to adapt to a new tank and tank mates. Each fish and fish type is different. Many times, I have fish that feed right out of the bag while other times, the same type of fish are there for a few days before feeding.
Having said all that, I would make sure you see no aggression from your other fish towards this "hider" as that will tend to keep fish hiding for protection. As for feeding, I find that live foods tend to get fish back on an eating pattern quickly. If this is not possible, try using a turkey baster and gently blow food in front of the fish where it is hiding so that it has a chance to feed without being disturbed. If all else fails, you may want to use a vitamin supplement (i.e. Vita chem) to help keep the fish healthy until it gets back to "normal".

Hope this helps (y)

PS: NICE LOOKING FISH!!!!! :D

Thank you :)
I have not seen any aggression towards the male that hides, I guess the salmontail catfish (2 of which are bigger then him) may be a little intimidating as they are always swimming around also. The only aggression I've seen invoking them is when the female goes in his area (this only started in the last day or two normally their fine together)

And thanks, yea they are nice fish

Then I would try the isolated feeding to make sure the male is still eating. If he is, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he isn't, then you need to address the issue.

Keep us posted (y)

Then I would try the isolated feeding to make sure the male is still eating. If he is, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he isn't, then you need to address the issue.

Keep us posted (y)

The female picked up a bit of massivore that was meant for my salmontails and brought it behind the Rock and dropped it and the male are it so I guess that's a good sign

I'm starting to get a tad worried. Today I tried dropping food right in front of him and he didn't eat it :/

The past two days he has eaten, he has had a few pieces of NLS but he really seems to prefer the massivore. Any tips on getting him to come out more seems to stay mostly behind a rock

The past two days he has eaten, he has had a few pieces of NLS but he really seems to prefer the massivore. Any tips on getting him to come out more seems to stay mostly behind a rock

For now, if he's eating and more comfortable behind the rock, let it be. Feed more massivore to him if that's what he prefers ( supplementing the other food so the fish doesn't get locked into one food type.) In good time, when he feels more comfortable in the tank with his tank mates, he should start coming out more. If he is too intimidated by the cats, you will have to make a decision on which is more important( seeing the fish or having the cats):(

For now, if he's eating and more comfortable behind the rock, let it be. Feed more massivore to him if that's what he prefers ( supplementing the other food so the fish doesn't get locked into one food type.) In good time, when he feels more comfortable in the tank with his tank mates, he should start coming out more. If he is too intimidated by the cats, you will have to make a decision on which is more important( seeing the fish or having the cats):(

He has actually started to become territorial. During feeding time i noticed if the catfish came in his area he got a bit aggressive and kicked them out

He has actually started to become territorial. During feeding time i noticed if the catfish came in his area he got a bit aggressive and kicked them out

As I said, I have no experience with this fish in particular but from the actions being exhibited and my knowledge of other similar type fish, it sounds like it's a step in the right direction (y) He's not just giving up, he's defending. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom