Bully behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maryleigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new aquarium owner. I have 6 Glofish Tetras in a 30 gallon tank. One of them makes another one stay on his side of the tank and chases the other 4 off if they go over there. He basically keeps her hostage over there. Lol! Is this typical? I don’t actually know if they are males or females so I use those terms in jest.

I am a new aquarium owner. I have 6 Glofish Tetras in a 30 gallon tank. One of them makes another one stay on his side of the tank and chases the other 4 off if they go over there. He basically keeps her hostage over there. Lol! Is this typical? I don’t actually know if they are males or females so I use those terms in jest.

Which kind of glow tetra do you have? Post a picture if you don't know so we can figure it out. (y)

Here is a pic of the red one actually putting the blue one back in her corner and just a pic of two of the others. I hope you can see them ok. It keeps turning the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6362.jpg
    IMG_6362.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6363.jpg
    IMG_6363.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, they are the " regular" glo tetras ( which are just a glow version of the Black skirt Tetra: Gymnocorymbus ternetzi )

The behavior can be normal for a larger male picking on a smaller male. You can help the blue one by isolating the red one for a while so that a new dynamic in the school is created or you need to increase the size of the school to at least 10 to12+ so any aggression will be dispersed among the other fish in the school. Sometimes this specie can have " buttheads" and it looks like you got one. ;)

Lol!! Thank you!! I will try both of those things. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom