Tanganyika tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxlerod

Aquarium Advice Freak
So what size tank would I need for;
5 Mpimwe frontosa
1 juli
3 calvus
5 synedontis
1 tropheus dubosii
And some aliens
3 steatocranus
8 red line sharks/denosi barbs

Imo frontosa should be housed in a species only tank unless you have a very large system but that's just my opinion. They tend to frighten very easily even by small fish and can cause themselves harm. Just my 2 cents :)

Mrc8858 said:
Imo frontosa should be housed in a species only tank unless you have a very large system but that's just my opinion. They tend to frighten very easily even by small fish and can cause themselves harm. Just my 2 cents :)

So what is a very large system. The prior post said 125gl.

A 125 is what reccomended for a breeding group of frontosa. They can get 15"

image-2086628699.jpg

Just needed to be reassured. They are all doing fine. It's a 140 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I never took breeding into consideration Since all I wanted was a tanganyikan tank. Thanks.

By the way the tank has been established with all the fish for 13 months now. All the fish were introduced as fry, only casualties were 5 t-dubosii. They were killed by the lone surviving t-dubosii in month three. Have had no incidents of disease. PWC every other week, NLS on a regular basis with live treats once a week ie worms and zucchini. Could not of done it with out this great site. Thanks

Paxlerod said:
By the way the tank has been established with all the fish for 13 months now. All the fish were introduced as fry, only casualties were 5 t-dubosii. They were killed by the lone surviving t-dubosii in month three. Have had no incidents of disease. PWC every other week, NLS on a regular basis with live treats once a week ie worms and zucchini. Could not of done it with out this great site. Thanks

Interesting as I've read that tropheus need to be kept in large groups like 15 strong or this will happen.Your post proves this.Good info for the future.

garfy said:
Interesting as I've read that tropheus need to be kept in large groups like 15 strong or this will happen.Your post proves this.Good info for the future.

Yep yep learned the hard way. I thought 6 would be enough. Now I have one big healthy tropheus who thinks he's a frontosa. He's part of their colony

So today I found one of the Calvus (black?) dead. It had both eyes missing. Last night it was in perfect health. There is no aggression issues I have witnessed in this tank other than over a year ago when the tropheus (dubosii) killed the rest of his family.

Paxlerod said:
So today I found one of the Calvus (black?) dead. It had both eyes missing. Last night it was in perfect health. There is no aggression issues I have witnessed in this tank other than over a year ago when the tropheus (dubosii) killed the rest of his family.

That sucks :(

..(frontosa's)...tend to frighten very easily even by small fish and can cause themselves harm...

Paradoxically, given the size they can attain and their nocturnal piscivorous nature, frontosa's can also make meals of these same smaller fish during hours of darkness (when considering a full grown frontosa, a smaller fish that can become a meal may mean a fish 5" or smaller without natural defenses such as what the altolamprologus species are equipped with).

kay-bee19 said:
Paradoxically, given the size they can attain and their nocturnal piscivorous nature, frontosa's can also make meals of these same smaller fish during hours of darkness (when considering a full grown frontosa, a smaller fish that can become a meal may mean a fish 5" or smaller without natural defenses such as what the altolamprologus species are equipped with).

True but by most standards for a cichlid that size they are huge push overs lol

Paxlerod said:

Those frontosa are 13 months old?

Yes. They were in a 80 gl grow out tank prior. I was also told that they are F1.

Paxlerod said:
Yes. They were in a 80 gl grow out tank prior. I was also told that they are F1.

I have 11 of them in a 55g and my largest one is probably about 7" and they are about a year and a half old.

Very nice for you. Mine are Mpimwe F1. I don't know if that makes a difference. They do look and act healthy. My water quality is always checked and weekly PWC. The Calvus and Synedontis in the tank are from what I read more delicate to changes in the enviroment. Yet they have grown. The Fronts have grown. Just really slow. There colors are amazing. I feed them for the most part NLS pellets and Cobalt Aquatics flake. Also zucchini and the occasional worms both frozen and live. When they get the worms and zucchini they act like piranhas. I wish mine where 7 inches. They have the room to grow.

They're beautiful fish! From what I've read they're pretty slow growing. They'll be huge before you know it ;-)

Back
Top Bottom