Texas Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, i want to add more fish. Should i go with ~7 BA Tetras/Swordtails or put in more Texas???

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Go to a craft store or Walmart in the craft section. You will find small bottles of the acrylic paint and rollers, sponges and brushes there. There will be tons of colors to chose from if you decide you don't like black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I used 3 coats of this from home depot. It does peel off very easily, so keep a little extra in the jar for touch up work. Hob filters will scrape the paint upsetting you. I put a soft spacer between the contact points to try and prevent future scratching.
For my own personal selfishness, have you considered putting up the foam backdrop that Rastaman has on his mountainscape? It would save you the trouble of painting all together.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445194813338.jpg
    1445194813338.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 49
Sorry for laughing, but I felt like watching a great cartoon and this reminded me of you telling your fish to breed.

Attachments

• 1445196274764.jpg
    1445196274764.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 46
Lol!!! That was funny!

And youre not wrong ;)

Also, just added 2 pots, took down the possibly dangerous cave, and im going to go get paint in an hour or so.

Any ideas on dithers or more Texas?

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

dithers/snacks and other additions? I'll have to forgo that question. Never owned your fish.
I'm guessing your dithers would be food in less than 24hrs. It would bring them out of hiding though!

dithers/snacks and other additions? I'll have to forgo that question. Never owned your fish.
I'm guessing your dithers would be food in less than 24hrs. It would bring them out of hiding though!

The BA Tetras i aould buy would be nearly as big as the female Tex... And probably faster.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445203154.313673.jpg

Just finished painting, it was a pain in the back and donkey and arms to do that, as i couldn't fit behind the tank so i had to lay backwards on the rim of the stand... Looks good! Just missing the edges, I'm waiting until the paint dried so i can have a bit more freedom in moving cords/tubing. I like the look of it, hope the fish do as well.

Only have 1 HOB running and its on the opposite side of the tank. Im out of extension cords and its the only cord that can reach... Ugh. And the heater is on as well... But yeah...

So i expect them to be breeding within the hour, all that work i just put in ;)

Also: the large tan rocks i have in the tank could be switched for black slate stuff that i have, would that be better? They are both aquarium safe, only difference would be the color/texture and possible a PH difference.

Looks better already! Anyone ever tell you grass does not grow under your feet, or to strike it while the iron is hot?
To clarify, are you talking about Hyphessobrycon anisitsi? I saw they are 7cm as adults.
Give the fish an hour and 22min cool down from the stressful painting commotion. Then they'll start breeding.

Looks better already! Anyone ever tell you grass does not grow under your feet, or to strike it while the iron is hot?
To clarify, are you talking about Hyphessobrycon anisitsi? I saw they are 7cm as adults.
Give the fish an hour and 22min cool down from the stressful painting commotion. Then they'll start breeding.

That extra 22 minutes might just be the death of me ?

The Buenos Aries Tetras grow to like 3 inches usually, i do believe. Usually bug and fast enough to live with Cichlids. Many people use them in tanks with fully grown, 8"+ fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445204990.434607.jpg

Also saw this stand off! The FM was in the pot. The female Tex came and distracted him, flaring her gills in an imitation if him. It allowed the male to grab a spot in the pot (sick rhymes right there) and them he blocked it off while she chased away the FM... They both left the pot less than a minute later and i see this all the time but never get a pic of it.

Sorry for the bad quality, it was taken from across the room so i didn't scare them.

Just thought it was interesting!

Literally second after posting this (this is an edit) just saw the female Tex and the FM lip-locking over the pot... They broke apart and started flaring at each other. Its so cool how the Tex adapted that trait, and is showing some of its aggression. I will move the FM if it comes to that, so dont be worried :)

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi will work well for dithers up to when the 1st carpintis hits about 6 to 7 inches. At that point I would expect them to start disappearing. I get them at pet smart when they are a $1 a piece.

How many of them have the black splotch on the dorsal fin? I consider that about 89% positive female.

Any thoughts on whether the tan rocks or the slate will make any difference? Even if it just would improve the flow of the tank i can switch it. But i would like some opinions so i don't have to take everything apart just to test it.

Just finish patching up to get the solid black color. Looks nice. Going to give it an hour or two, let those few small patches finish drying, then hook up the filters. Im going to use some old socks ? to stop the HOBs from scratching.

Im also going to use the slate, i like this new darker theme.

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi will work well for dithers up to when the 1st carpintis hits about 6 to 7 inches. At that point I would expect them to start disappearing. I get them at pet smart when they are a $1 a piece.

How many of them have the black splotch on the dorsal fin? I consider that about 89% positive female.

Thanks for advice about the BAs

So it odd... One always has the black spot unless she is stressed out, she also has the thinner body of the female, and very rounded fins.

The very smallest, however, confuzzles me. It sometimes has the spot and sometimes doesn't... I would say about 40% it does and 60% it doesn't. It also has a very slight bump to its forehead... It may well be a small male.

The big one is male, 95% sure. Long pointy fins, growing a hump, grows quick, the boss... And from my limited venting experience, it looks to be a male. So unless its screwed up across all accounts, i think its male.

Im willing to buy more if you think its a good idea, but i only have the dough for the BAs or 4 new Tex. I can get the people at the shop to get me any fish I'm pointing out, or i just wont buy them... That kinda seems rude, but some if them know that when i say "i want a male/female" to get me what i want... So is it best to add 2 males and 2 females, or all females, or what? I like the male i have so preferably i would add 1 male and 3 females. The one male would be to introduce a bit of competition...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445284561.964228.jpg

The tank with these modifications that happened yesterday:

Baffles on filter
Black painted background
More clay pots
Black slate
Moved driftwood

I like it!! Hope it convinces the fish to do the dirty... Or imma be mad at them!

Also going to get like 2-4 more Texas when i can...

So, just bought another Texas. I was going to buy 3 medium sizers, but when i got to the LFS they only had 2 more expensive 4 inchers and a ton of 1-2 inch fish. So i bought the 4 incher that appeared to be female.

It has really stirred up the tank, i'll tell you that much for free... The Original larger female Tex went crazy... She went after the new addition even though it was bigger than her. And she went right into breeding colors and actually bit the big male who is at least 2.5" bigger... And he didn't breed with her... The aggression has stopped as much as can be expected by now (got the fish early last night).

The male has turned on some bright colors. Whether out of breeding lust or actually having some competition in the tank im not sure, but his colors, especially on his fins, has turned a bright blue and his body has become barred a bit and a bit darker... He also slowly chases the new fish (not harmfully, just trails after it) so i hope he is trying to breed. Maybe it was just the size difference preventing him?? Idk...

The new fish is hiding up by the filters a lot when the male comes towards her. Afraid, obviously... And i don't blame it. Has color though and no wounds, at least not fresh ones. And when the male is occupied otherwise she swims down and checks out the hiding places.

I rearranged the tank and fed heavily before adding her in... They ate all the food and were acting like a middle-aged dad after a Thanksgiving meal (tired XD ) so i decided it was safe to put her in then. They didn't hurt her so i guess it was alright...

Any advice on the breeding aspect as well as integrating her successfully are appreciated.

When you do a water change do you use cooler water?

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck, hope he likes the new girl.

Hopefully it is actually a girl...

When you do a water change do you use cooler water?

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Um... I just compare the temps with my fingers. So it could go either way. Would it be a good idea to do cooler changes?

Back
Top Bottom