Texas Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just kind of restarting the other breeding thread i had.

The tank is a 75, rocks and a driftwood centerpiece. Heater, powerhead, really over-filtered. And lots of oxygenation due to all the disturbances in that water.

-SunSun Canister
-Marineland 350 Biowheel
-some other 55-75gal HOB
-smaller sponge filters for the back corners

I took out some decor and fish; the tank has one driftwood log diving the tank and pieces of flat big rocks laying around. I did that to reduce the amount if crap that gets caught in stuff as well as create more space. There is a corner with a ceramic pot, partially hidden by a tall plant, which i would imagine to be the place they are most likely to breed at.

The fish are: 1x 5.5" male Tex, 1x 3" female Tex, 1x 2.75" unsexed Tex, and a 3" FM male.

Ive done a step up in WC, adding more filters and current and sucking out as much debris as i can see ASAP. Still only doing about 50% a week though. Also rinsing off the filter pads in tank water every week and cleaning out the crap from the canister every 2 weeks.

Only things ive seen change is the large male Tex become slightly more aggressive/territorial and he is digging a bit near the plant/cave. Female still flashes breeding colors occasionally for a few hours, male doesnt.

Ive tried different temps and foods...

Any ideas? I understand time is a thing but by most accounts Tex will breed when the female is 2-3" which mine is, and she shows her colors sometimes... Could it be the male...? Suggestions please.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

You got some picks? Sounds like your doing a great job on maintaining everything though.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm also surprised that no one commented on this thread...

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not overly surprised, I've not gotten much on this subject throughout the several threads I've made in different sections at different times about it..

I will get some pics!

And yeah, I'm really trying to buff up the diets and max out WC schedule, going to do one every 2-3 days now. 50%. If those things don't work then I'm blaming the fish and getting them outta here.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Its all good, i obviously cant expect you to add if you don't have anything to say. I was just saying that seems to be the general theme of this... Maybe its because they are supposed to breed almost like Convicts and its usually bot an issue... Oh well, i guess they will or wont, but i mightily wish they would hurry the heck up about their decision.

TImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445139417.564139.jpg

The tank. You can see the male pretty good in the back left.

The sponge filter and powerhead are messed up in that pic, they are in proper positions now... Just in case that seemed odd to anyone

Are these the type of cichlid that beats plants to a pulp? I heard the barometric pressure induces breeding sometimes. What will you do with fry? Sell to lfs or private people? You must be really frustrated. I keep seeing your threads about this topic but have nothing useful to say. Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would try getting a background on that tank and add more clay pots. The fish look freaked out to me the way they are hiding. Male is in the corner I also see one under a rock in the right corner. One under the wood. If they don't feel safe they most likely wont breed. Not saying that they will if you put a background on but it wont hurt.

Common theme here, I don't have anything useful to say either. I've got 2 cents though:) Mikes right. You need to set the ambiance and be patient for the mood to strike. She may have a headache afterall.
What is all in there again? I see an old school acme survival fish flattening rock on the right. Maybe try some new scape arrangements.
You seem to be on top of all the spec details, but you can't stand in front of the tank yelling at them to breed. Get lucky, and show your fry someday!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are these the type of cichlid that beats plants to a pulp? I heard the barometric pressure induces breeding sometimes. What will you do with fry? Sell to lfs or private people? You must be really frustrated. I keep seeing your threads about this topic but have nothing useful to say. Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very much frustrated even though its not really my fault or the fish's. And yeah, i cant do plants anyways but these guys shredded the Java Moss i attempted in there within a few hours, even though they were fed a heavy meal beforehand... I will be selling them to my LFS, although i would do private people if i was able (maybe at some point).

I would try getting a background on that tank and add more clay pots. The fish look freaked out to me the way they are hiding. Male is in the corner I also see one under a rock in the right corner. One under the wood. If they don't feel safe they most likely wont breed. Not saying that they will if you put a background on but it wont hurt.

They could be frightened. I noticed after i went from 10 fish in the tank to 4 they seem to hunker down a lot more and aren't as interactive with me, although I've been tinkering with the tank a lot lately which could play a part. I will add a few smaller pots i have and going to try to get some BA Tetras as dithers. I might spray-paint the tank black (the back of it) but I'm not sure if i could sleep in here for a few days with all the fumes...

Should i maybe add some more Texas? The reason i only have the 3 is that the first group wasn't doing anything and I'm pretty sure they were all males, so i got a replacement group of 3 plus the largest male i left in the tank. Then the largest female and the bug make seemed to bond slightly, at least they hide in the same spots and don't "argue," whereas all the other fish bicker sometimes. Its not like the dedicated relationships some if the more peaceful Cichlid form but it seems to be something at least. And i returned one of the 3 in the replacement group because it was a bit smaller than the others. I could add about 3 more Tex if you think that would be a good idea, in willing to do that ASAP.

Common theme here, I don't have anything useful to say either. I've got 2 cents though:) Mikes right. You need to set the ambiance and be patient for the mood to strike. She may have a headache afterall.
What is all in there again? I see an old school acme survival fish flattening rock on the right. Maybe try some new scape arrangements.
You seem to be on top of all the spec details, but you can't stand in front of the tank yelling at them to breed. Get lucky, and show your fry someday!

Lol. The thing about them is that the female always seems to have moments where she wants to breed and for some reason the male doesn't ever try to breed with her.. I also remade the scape a week ago.

With the rock in the back right: if it was to fall wouldn't the pressure underneath just push the fish out? My FM is very fond of hiding out in the cave or guarding the entrance

Really, thanks for all the advice... I don't usually get much on this topic, anything helps :)

You're right, the water "might" push the fish out from under the acme trap. Acme likes to give the hunted a 100% chance of escape from their traps typically.
I wouldnt spray paint your tank. You've gotta use TLC with a small foam roller after your safeguarding prep work.

You're right, the water "might" push the fish out from under the acme trap. Acme likes to give the hunted a 100% chance of escape from their traps typically.
I wouldnt spray paint your tank. You've gotta use tlc with a small foam roller after your safeguarding prep work.

Why wouldn't it work to just spraypaint the back outside of it?? After it dries it should be fine...?

Can you explain what "acme" is? I thought you meant the rocks could squish a fish underneath but is that not what you're saying?

Use acrylic craft paint and a foam roller brush. No fumes, drys faster, no worries about runs etc..

As for the lack of breeding, perhaps they are still too small? I've got zero experience in breeding

Jesse

You need to youtube Wile E. Coyote.
Spray painting an unused tank in your garage sounds fine to me.
Spray paint, unless you are a graffiti expert, can't be guided safely like a foam roller brush can.
I'd be nervous spraying on a set up tank is all.

I'd go the acrylic route too. It's be better fume wise for you and the fish, cheaper and quicker with less hassle. If you hate it down the road you will be able to remove the acrylic. Spray paint maybe not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

K, acrylic it is. Where could i get some black stuff, would if be at like Walmart or Home Depot if what...?

Might be able to do it today, or later this week, if I'm lucky.

Back
Top Bottom