Texas Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I do to get my fish in the mood I don't have Texas but it works for my fish also I read they also like to spawn on slate laying on the substrate

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I do to get my fish in the mood I don't have Texas but it works for my fish also I read they also like to spawn on slate laying on the substrate

Ok. What is the difference in temp? Ive been doing 50% WC every 2-3 days. But yeah, how should i make aure its enough of a difference without it being too much...? I do have pretty cool water in their tank already though. Maybe 74-76°...

Any yeah, i just replaced the tab rocks i had in the tank with a bunch of slate.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Ok, pics of fish...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445466143.995917.jpg

The dominant male. Sorry its a bit blurry...

You can also see my FMs screwed up tail... Its odd but i like the effect.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445466208.719718.jpg

The FM in his favorite cave.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445466238.061834.jpg

The new one... Sometimes it appears to have a spot. Might be stressed? Probably is... What do you think on its gender? Its fins are a bit pointy at the end due to being nipped at the LFS. And even if its a male, maybe the possible competition will inspire him to breed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445466312.778273.jpg

Size comparison of the newbie and the male.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445466376.415631.jpg

The tank overall.even though i can only see the FM in the pic..

Any suggestions appreciated.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

And the majority of the nipped fins are due to the addition last night. Apparently my fish have issues with newcomers, although its to be expected.

Honestly... It was pretty close to being a major bloodbath... Im glad the original larger female backed down or all heck would've broken loose.

Anything on this?

looking at the pictures all I see are males. I'm about 90% on this. Any females I have seen even when stressed showed the black mark on the dorsal fin.

I'd break up their line of sight more. DW it up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

looking at the pictures all I see are males. I'm about 90% on this. Any females I have seen even when stressed showed the black mark on the dorsal fin.

I can maybe agree. One is female, I'm about 90% sure. I dont think i got a pic of her and she usually has her fin down so i cant see the spot, but ive seen it before... The biggest is male, I'm sure we can agree.

the very smallest had the black spot when i bought it, now it doesn't. Ive stated previously that it is questionable...

The new one, i wasn't convinced of its gender in the first place, but it was my best bet. If its mail, maybe it will inspire competition. If female, might breed. Im not too bothered either way

Ive had this problem before. I bought 6 to start with; all males. I haven't the money or want or time to buy another group of six. If i stop there and one is female for sure, i will buy... But these fish have until New Years to breed.

And i think that attitude is very important in whether they show the spot or not. Ive seen this opinion on other forums posts that I've read as research...

If you know of anywhere i can get one thats sexed, a female, I'm willing to try to work up the dough to make a purchase.

I'd break up their line of sight more. DW it up.

DW is driftwood, i assume.

Only issue is, i only have the one that floats. And if i use all the slate to hold it down, that is bleh in visual appearance although effective. Im willing to try though... I will do it tonight.

Any ideas on how i should maybe arrange the pots? Should they be in the corners (more sheltered) or in the center (better sense of "control" for a possible pair) or what?

Haven't used the pots yet myself. Try facing the open ends in opposite directions.
Are you saying you don't want to add more dw?

Haven't used the pots yet myself. Try facing the open ends in opposite directions.
Are you saying you don't want to add more dw?

I don't, but its really my only viable option to break up the view. I used to have more in there but i hated using all the rocks to hold it down. But i didn't think about the breaking-up-the-view factor. Unless you have other ideas. Im basically open to anything that isn't ugly enough to make me cringe when i see it first thing in the morning. And if it would, but would still be really helpful... Maybe.

And i will put the pots in different directions.

Ive read that page... If only it had some "you or your fish, most likely you, might be stupid, click here for help" links.

Like, seriously Mom... Not a hobby, its my life!

Mopani is a dense wood that won't float. You could still have your slate going that route. I have no input on the sexes other than mike is the man, if he sees males, they're probably males. Nice fish, not sure what's up with that firemouth tail, mine is showing more color at a slightly smaller size too, not really sure why. Could be genetics or lighting, perhaps he is just stressed around all those Texas pairs, not sure...

Mopani is a dense wood that won't float. You could still have your slate going that route. I have no input on the sexes other than mike is the man, if he sees males, they're probably males. Nice fish, not sure what's up with that firemouth tail, mine is showing more color at a slightly smaller size too, not really sure why. Could be genetics or lighting, perhaps he is just stressed around all those Texas pairs, not sure...

Any idea where i could get some of that hard wood? Lol :)

Not sure if they have it at stores near me.

He may well be right... It is possible that i only have 1 female.

The FM shows colors sometimes. He isn't really bothered by the Tex he usually just chases the smaller 2 around and they leave him alone. He is a wonky fish though.

One thing you can do to help DW sink is the take a small piece of slate and drill a couple of holes in it. Next, screw some stainless steel screws through the slate and into the base of the DW. In the tank, the slate base can be covered by the substrate if you don't like the look of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One thing you can do to help DW sink is the take a small piece of slate and drill a couple of holes in it. Next, screw some stainless steel screws through the slate and into the base of the DW. In the tank, the slate base can be covered by the substrate if you don't like the look of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

True. I think i will try that.

Any idea where i could get some of that hard wood? Lol :)

Not sure if they have it at stores near me.

He may well be right... It is possible that i only have 1 female.

The FM shows colors sometimes. He isn't really bothered by the Tex he usually just chases the smaller 2 around and they leave him alone. He is a wonky fish though.

I found my mopani wood at Petco(surprisingly affordably), it was labeled as such. I still soaked it to reduce tannins but it sank instantly in my 30 gallon Tupperware style tub.

Cool... I will call there and see if they have any, although I'm not too hopeful. I might look online at Amazon or eBay if none of the LFS have it.

Probably 20% pure cold

Back
Top Bottom