three year old fed the fish need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbird79

Aquarium Advice Activist
My three year old decided she wanted to feed the fish. THE WHOLE CAN. I vacuumed out most of it out. When should i start doin water changes. Its a 20 gal with 5 cichlids less then an inch and one 3 in thats healing for a beating.

:rolleyes: Ahhhhhhhh kids, gotta love 'em......

I also recommend at least 50% water changes, possibly a couple, and good solid gravel vacs and keep an eye on your readings. You might want to take the filter apart and rinse all the components out in case there's excess food stuck in there now.

I respectfully disagree. If you rinse the filter media in used tank water, you won't lose any beneficial bacteria. The important thing here is to remove as much of the food as possible, no matter where it's stuck.

LyndaB said:
I respectfully disagree. If you rinse the filter media in used tank water, you won't lose any beneficial bacteria. The important thing here is to remove as much of the food as possible, no matter where it's stuck.

I agree, put any water you have taken out of your tank in to a bucket and use that water to clean out any food from your filters, ...... (From experience as this happened to myself as a friend decided she would shake the pot of fish food over the tank and dropped it in)..... To be honest as long as you acted quickly and got rid of the bigger bits, hoovered the sand/rocks it should be ok..... Just keep a close eye on your peramaters and do a few water changes ahead of normal...

Back
Top Bottom