Tiger Oscars and Cyphotilapia Frontosa in the same tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 tiger oscars about 4 inches long and I just purchased a 300 gallon tank. I want to buy some Cyphotilapia Frontosa. Most likely 4. Will there be any problem mixing these kinds of fish??

Aren't Frontosa African cichlids? I don't think you should mix the two together just because they need different water conditions and come from different habitats.

well the information i know about them, it seems they would go well because their max size is pushing 12" and oscars get that big too, just make sure you get them at the same size of your oscars, but i'm not sure if 4 is too much being that oscars should have the 150 for just the two of them(those messy boys) :D

Yes the Cyphotilapia Frontosa need a PH between 7.4 and 9.4 I believe. The place that I would get them from has a PH of 7.8 which is what my tank is currently and the Oscars are doing fine. I have had them for about a month in the 7.8 PH.

You ought to be able to keep the two together without problems, and the frontosa are actually pretty peaceful. I am glad to see large fish being kept in an appropriately large tank!

Provide plenty of rocky cover and it should work.

Lake Tanganyika is more like between 8 and 9 pH, and fish from this lake generally do better in water like that, with better coloration and behavior, but there is no reason they cannot be kept in pH 7.8, unless these are wild caught, in which cause I would attempt to keep them in conditions as close to the lake as possible.

I agree tankgirl . When I bought the oscars they were in a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a crap load of goldfish. so I bought them both now I love them. They have just as much personality as a dog. and they can recognize faces. when my girlfriend walks by the tank they swim up to the top like they are going to get fed and as soon as they see who it is they swim back down to the bottom. (she never deals with the fish.) But me they wil almost jump out of the tank until I walk away. :lol:

Personaly, you have a tank big enough to spawn frontosas.. I would get another tank for the oscars and give it a try!!! but I can only dream!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's what I'd likely do, GM, or create a giant Lake Tang community with cyprichromis for schooling, fronts, shellies and calvus, etc. :mrgreen:

There are lots of Africans that I would not choose to mix with oscars for all kinds of behavioral and agression issues, but fronts are unique, for certain, and you have enough room for them, r6mason. Where are you getting them from?

You can drive there!!!!!!! That was one of the places I was directed to, to get some rare Lake Malawi fish!!! I am feeling really green...more than usuall right now!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah I can drive there. it is about an hour and 15 min from me. When I go do you want me to look for anything particular?? If so let me know. They are the closest place that I know of that sell the Fronts.

I would need would require a speical order or contacting them to see if they can actually get one.. Lake Malawi's spinny eel..ACK.. Im not asking for much!!! ROFL.. I need to get things going before I check into it though.. thanks for asking though!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

not a problem. the one good thing is that they do not have a minimum for shipping fish. :D

I have seen it done sucessfully, so yes. With a tank that size, good food and superior water quality, you could actually end up with a pair of proper, 14"-16" oscars...now that will be impressive.

I wouldn't mix Fronts with Oscars. Oscar's will grow at least twice as fast as the Fronts, and Fronts are easily spooked by bigger more aggressive fish.

Armke's is well-known and a very respected dealer in Africans, so that is a most excellent choice. It is good that you are within driving distance - I have heard nothing but good about them.

that is cool. I have not even heard of them but I did a yahoo search. They seem really nice on the phone. I guess I will see tomorrow. I am going to get 2 of the fronts. Try to get them a little bigger than the oscars.

Back
Top Bottom