To hold or strip.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have a yellow lab in a breeder box. She has been holding for approximately 2 and a half weeks. I'm gone 7 days a week for school and work. I don't want to leave the mother in there for to long because she might eat them. Now I've never strip before and don't know how. Any suggestion or opinions on how or what I should do would be appreciated.

How do you make her spit them out? And will they be fry or still eggs by then?

Most likely they are fry. I pick them up, hold their head in the water and with a paper clip pull their bottom jaw open and the babies come swimming out. Repeat a few times to make sure you Got them all

Ok thanks a lot! It's been almost 3 weeks. Since I noticed she was holding. So When should I do this? And will the current be to strong for them in my 55? Of course they will be in the breeder net.

The bigger fish can suck the fry through the nets... Ten gallon? Tank divider? Check out YouTube vids. There are plenty of them on how to release fry from a holding female.

Ok thanks guys. I've been looking for something around a ten gallon on Craiglist but no luck so far.

Yes and some plants. That's what I did until I got seperate tanks and the outside the tank breeder boxes. Mine cichlids tried to get the fry until I did this

I do have a few small plants that u was going to put in there but I didn't think of sand too. I will do that until I find a small tank for them

Back
Top Bottom