To many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshingme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I have a 155 gallon. I stocked it 8 months ago with the following. 3 jack dempsies,3 green terrors,1 blue dempsie,2 geos,3 firemouths,3 tin foil barbs,5 convicts, 1 jewel, 3 texas.
Do u think its to.many fish? I have 3 large canisters filled with ceramic rings

Yes I would say so. You maybe OK now it they are all small but once they are fully grown it could be a bit of a war in there.

I think I would have no more than 5-6 large cichlids in a tank that size. Also think you have a few stock issues. Keeping more than 1 JD male is not going to work in my opinion (not sure what sex yours are as you don't say). More than 1 male Green Terror will also be an issue when they both become fully grown.

I presume out of the 5 convicts some will breed and may take out some of the other fish. They are highly aggressive when breeding and can kill fish double their size quite easily.

Not sure about the geos as I know nothing about them but that EBJD is going to struggle to hold its own against some of those fish. They are quite passive compared to normal JD's. The firemouths may also have the same problem, they can be quite passive too.

No it's not to many there's room for more, a school of Pangasianodon hypophthalmus would make a great addition.

You should post some pictures.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm suprised it's not already like the middle east in there. Cool collection though.

Thank you. I'm not sure how to sex them. I was waiting for.them to pair up and then give away the third. I would love to.hear opinions about me moving over to.wet dry filtration....

No it's not to many there's room for more, a school of Pangasianodon hypophthalmus would make a great addition.

You should post some pictures.

Yeah, i'd keep it to a smallish school though, say around 6-8 specimens, any more might be pushing it a bit.

Rule of thumb when I worked at a pet store throughout high school and some college (2006-2011) is 1 inch per gallon. Meaning when the fish are full grown they shouldn't amount to over 155
Inches if fish in the 155 gallon tank. The only exception to this rule was the goldfish and that was 1 inch per 2 gallons because of the high levels of ammonia in their waste. I think it sounds way too crowded especially with 4 dempseys. And not because of the amount of waste since you have 3 filters going on but for aggression issues and space.

Jinxster373 said:
Rule of thumb when I worked at a pet store throughout high school and some college (2006-2011) is 1 inch per gallon. Meaning when the fish are full grown they shouldn't amount to over 155
Inches if fish in the 155 gallon tank. The only exception to this rule was the goldfish and that was 1 inch per 2 gallons because of the high levels of ammonia in their waste. I think it sounds way too crowded especially with 4 dempseys. And not because of the amount of waste since you have 3 filters going on but for aggression issues and space.

Poor rule to go by due to different levels of waste and aggression. You wouldn't put a 10" oscar into a 10 gallon. That rule is very flawed and there's really no general rule to use when estimating how much a tank should be stocked with. All in all, this tank is disgustingly overstocked!

You know what, you're right. I wouldn't put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon but then again I wouldn't ever put any Oscar in a 10 gallon because they have the potential to grow even larger. I guess we used that rule of thumb for community fish. I guess it is a more general statement to give new fish owners an idea of how to stock their new at their new tank. People who came in and asked for help generally didn't start off with cichlids. and I've never looked at it from your point of view but I do like.

Ok. So please suggest what i should give.away.

OK so you have the following - 3 jack dempsies,3 green terrors,1 blue dempsie,2 geos,3 firemouths,3 tin foil barbs,5 convicts, 1 jewel, 3 texas.

You have to decide what fish you like first really. If it were me I would go with

1 Green Terror
2 Jack Dempseys (but not two males)
1 Texas
1 Convict
1 Jewel or 1 firemouth

But like I said I don't know anything about Geo's so am not even mentioning them. I am not sure if the EBJD would work with the normal JD's or the GT's so would be risky IMHO. But they would be fine with the firemouths and tin foil barbs.

So as I said it would be better if you choose what you want to keep and work around that.

Thats something i had in mind. I wod like to see the dempsies pair up and the other fish can be show fish.

Terrible rule of thumb. That's old advice that should have never been thought as correct. Many factors play into stocking a tank.

Back
Top Bottom