Too many chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there. I'm currently trying to figure out what I need to make conditions as good as possible for my oscar.

So far, I've started using a dechlorinator. I have hard water with pH that keeps rising, so I got a powder that neutralized pH and softens water (a test or two has confirmed that). I am also currently using a bit of melafix and salt to nip in the bud what looks like the start of finrot.

My question comes about as I'm throwing all this stuff in there. Is it just too many chemicals? I feel like I'm doing a chemistry experiment rather than raising an oscar. I don't mind buying and using what is necessary to run a healthy aquarium, but does it seem to anyone else that all this stuff might be harmful or... something?

I'm just paranoid maybe, but some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Stop using the pH adjuster. If the water has always been hard, the oscar is used to it.
As for the Melamix, it's generally harmless; however, good water conditions are the best defense to fin rot (unless the fish are nipping each other).

I really believe I have good water conditions. I do frequent water changes. In fact, I had to cut back because I learned I was inhibiting the cycling process by cleaning too much. Yet, my fish still have problems, and I guess I felt like the best thing I can do is try to keep the pH at 7 and soften the water, cause it is VERY hard (I didn't really convey that). We've got well water that is hard, hard, hard.

I feel it's to the point that leaving it would be careless, and I think something needs to be done about softening the water. I guess I couldn't tell you if my oscar has or hasn't acclimated himself to the well water we have, because he always seems to have a minor problem.

I don't mean to be adverasarial, I just want to make sure I get my specific situation across.

As you are finding out, a chemical to lower your pH is not working. Very hard water tends to "rebound" when you use pH lowering chemicals. The pH of my water is 8.2 out of the tap, and 7.8 when aged overnight. I mix half tap water and half RO water to do a water change, and after aging, the pH is 7.2. You could try to use the RO water -- it would lower your pH safely, without chemicals. If your tank is very large, it may not be feasible to run back and forth to the RO machine at the grocery store! I agree with Menagerie too -- a stable pH is more important than a perfect pH of 7.0. Here's an article on this site about pH:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=40

Hm. Thanks for the advice. I think if I use that neutralizer, it'll be in doses much less than recommended. I'm just worried because our water is really abnormally hard, and the pH seemed to be rising out of control. Thank you very much for the advice, and I will seriously cut back on that chemical, and work towards eliminating it.

If you have a canister filter, add peat to one of the baskets. Fluval makes a special media, but you will need to change it often. One major problem keeping fish that are not adjusted or used to your water is there may always be something slightly off. It is best to get fish that prefer the water conditions in your area.

What is your pH now of your tank, and of your well water? I found that albino oscars can have a pH as high as 8, according to the profile on LiveAquaria.com:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1094

If your pH is higher than that, then peat would be a good option, like Menagerie said, or if you want to use RO water, you would probably need to get a unit in your house. Peat would probably be easier -- I go to the grocery store for RO water but I have 5-gallon betta tanks, so it's not really an inconvenience.

The pH was rising each time I tested it, and got high as 7.8 roughly. I felt some action was necessary.

I guess though, if it doesn';t get higher, then my O could adjust to that eh?

Yes, I think if it doesn't get higher than 7.8 or even 8 (and the 7.8 is a result of the natural aging of your water and not a chemical addition) then your oscar will be fine! If you had any rebounding from the addition of the chemical, that may possibly be what was causing the mild fin rot. Fin rot is often caused by stress, and the pH rebound is stressful for fish.

All the fish im my tank are in a water with a of pH 7. There are neons, zebras, platies, and oto cats. They have been doing fine for the last few months with no effects.

Hmmm. I think you're on the right track Spacebutler. Menagerie is correct about using chemicals to soften your water. The water will bounce back to it's original pH because there it has too much buffering capacity.

Peat is one way to soften your water on a long term basis, and is quite economical. Another is a product called Chemipure. It's fairly expensive, but it will treat your tank for an extended period of time. I've used it in the past and have been quite satisfied. You place it in your filter and just monitor the hardness until it begins to lose its effectiveness. It also adds the trace elements needed to your water.

One of the problems with hard water is it might contain alot of minerals or metals which are difficult if not impossible to test for and thus be harmful to fish. It is also be possible that even though hard, it might also be lacking in trace elements that are essential to soft water fish health. The kind of fin rot you describe in your oscar can be caused by a mineral deficiency.

I don't understand why the pH is rising. To test the true pH of your tap water, allow a glass of it to sit out over night and then test.

Thanks for all the ideas.

You know, if it was a mineral deficiency, that would be a funny thing. Our water here is so full of minerals that it's often visible out of the tap :? . Maybe they're the wrong ones, heh.

Yeppers. I'm not saying that it is a mineral deficiency. Just that it's possible. It's just as possible that it's a nutrient problem, or perhaps there are more minerals in your water than you know which is causing the problem. The GH test kits we use determine hardness by measuring calcium and magnesium ions only.

If it were my tank I'd soften the water using the Chemipure. I'd observe the fin damage closely to see if it were improving or worsening.

Back
Top Bottom