trouble with Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwellsasu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed this morning that my JD was acting very strange. He is very motionless on the bottom of the tank sometimes listing to one side. He is the only fish in a 45 gallon tank. I gently prodded him with my net and he darted around for a bit and ate two meal worms I gave him but then resumed the aforementioned behavior. I did not check the PH but did a 30% water change last night. Heater is on and water temperature is between 78 - 80 F. He is about six inches long and I feed him a mixed diet of cichild pellets, blood worms, and meal worms. I am quite worried about him. Am at work now and will not be home till sometime after 8 pm CST. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

I just bought one yesterday and it's displaying the same behavior..I removed him along with another that didn't look good....

Do not know the PH ran out of test chemicals. Cannot remember exactly how long less than a year. Did a bit of research and my apt gets quite warm so I wonder if the temp is running on the high end. Just got out of work so hopefully all will be okay when I get home

Do you have a liquid water test kit or a thermometer in the tank? These are basic things that anyone who keeps must have.

Also what is your water schedule?

Water change is not as often as it should be so I really cannot answer that. I have two thermometers one in front towards the top and one in back at the bottom. First is reading around 80 back around 78. When I got home he was not doing that listing thing but was just hanging out at the bottom. He ate three meal worms and some shrimp pellets.

sorry! i'm getting so many alerts their all running together!! my apologies!

No apology necessary. I also have a 50 gal tank full of crawfish. Of course they hardly require any maintenance at all.

Not sure what happened but he is back to his normal self. Stupid fish lol

Back
Top Bottom