Trying to catch her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my female that I suspected was holding eggs definitely is. Now I just have to get her out and into the nursery tank. It's like a game of cat and mouse. Suddenly, the cave she wouldn't leave for days I can't get her to go into. Just have to wait it out I guess. Don't want to stress her out but I know if she lets go of the babies in there, it will be snack time for the big boy in the tank,

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-1430105626.jpg
    image-1430105626.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 107
Get a large net and put it over the cave entrance. Then lift up the cave tipping the open side down. Lift the cave and net out of the tank together. Viola. It won't be too stressful and you will save the fry.

When the net is over the cave entrance there is a chance she will swim out into the net anyway.

She refuses to go in the cave now. That's the problem. I may have to move almost everything out of the tank to get her out.

I always catch my holding mbuna when I perform a water change since having 50% of the water out cuts out half of their real estate then I always use a large red net with a smaller hearding net to steer the fish where I want her to go.

Victory!!!! Came down this morning and she was hanging out in the cave again. Put a net over it and then covered the hole with my hand so there was no escaping. Cave and all is now in the nursery tank. Maybe I have too many hiding places in the tank because there is just no way to get her with a net. Live and learn

Maybe I have too many hiding places in the tank because there is just no way to get her with a net. Live and learn

That was my problem when my yellow lab was holding. She goes to all the hiding places and caves in my rock formation that I couldn't catch her. I even tried putting food in the net to trap her, and all the other fish would come and eat the food except her. Finally saw her today and it looks like her mouth is empty. I don't see any fries swimming near her though so they may have been eaten by the big boys.:(

Back
Top Bottom