Unexpected behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
While at the auction yesterday, I spotted a bag of three young jewel cichlids with no bids, so I snatched them up for $1...upon getting hime, I figured that the best place for them (at least for now) is in one of my tanks that houses some smaller bichirs (some senegals and a couple of smaller palmas polli), a couple of cats, and a young green terror (sole survivor of a bag of several 1" GTs that were put in as feeders (another $1 buy). Now I reslised that these jewels were a bit smaller than I had thought, and that they might be at risk from the bichirs, so I ;prayed for the best and put them in....to my surprise, not only have the bichirs completely left them alone, but the jewels are schooling with the lone green terror in what must be some sort of survival behaviour, and the GT seems quite happy for the company...go figure.

how do you mean survival behaviour?
I've heard of GT's acting as security in tanks and preventing fights, but not that small.

Good stuff

Matt.

IME younger cichlids rarely have the aggressive territorial nature of adults. I think you're correct in seeing it as a survival instinct. As they mature they will become less tolerant of their tankmates.

It will be interesting to see how things go...the GT is the only one that potentially could pester the bichirs, so once he hits 6", he will have to go play with the bigger boys....but by then the jewels will be large enough to no longer be potentially on the menu.

The senegals and palmas polli in that tank are all between 8"-12"....I have 50+ bichirs in other tanks ranging from 10"-30", though.

IME, jewel cichlids are a huge liability. Probably why they sold for only a dollar.:wink:

I bought three at an auction last year and they immediately proceeded to dismantle my SA cichlid tank. They harassed and killed two blue acaras, a firemouth, and a school of corys. I was forewarned about their aggression, and as soon as I realized the carnage that took place, I moved the three jewels into an empty 15 gal. They turned that tank into a bloody fish blender too. One jewel killed the other two. Eventually, I gave that jewel away.

I think that jewels might work in a large species-only tank, but I would not recommend them to anybody just starting out with cichlids as I was at the time.

Back
Top Bottom