Upgrade advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trisomy21

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend set me up with a 15g tank with some feeder fish, turns out one was a Peacock (probably hybrid) and he also brought me a male Kenyi earlier. For now they're both quite small and have a lot of space. and more rocks.

Still I'd like to get them in a 55 gallon. What all will I need? I've got two HOB filters, sponge filter, brand new 100watt heater (probably insufficient), obviously I'll need new lighting.

Secondly. What about their habitat. I've read they like rocky places with crevices or caves to hide in. I'd love to do some live plants, but obviously I'd rather check here first.

Thanks for any advice.

I would go with a sand substrate (pool filter sand), lots of rocks, fake plants (cichlids will eat most real ones), and another heater. Regular flourescent aquarium lights are fine for most cichlids.

And those filters are fine? And what other fish would be good to add? Apparently there's a pleco waiting for me too.

And those filters are fine? And what other fish would be good to add? Apparently there's a pleco waiting for me too.

Say NO to the pleco if it is a common pleco. They get way to freakin big for aquaria. They get 2 feet and sometimes exceed it. They are too commonly sold. You need a 100g+ for these fish IMO, they surprisingly like to move alot.. I hope you just say no and not have the headache that comes with them. Besides they crap alot. They are a HUGE bio-load. So please just skip the pleco.

Reactions: HN1
I personally dont like sponge filters and if the HOB's are rated for 40g or more each they should be fine. And I agree to ''NO" on the pleco. You will just have to eventually get rid of it if it is one that gets large. If you can verify what type of pleco it is and do some research on it then decide. You dont want one that will get over 3" or so. Common plecos will get way to big.

Yeah I don't even use the sponge right now, just figured it may or may not be useful. The HOB's are should suffice then. Cool, I'll leave out the pleco, seems like too much of a hassle.

What fish would go along best with them?

Other Malawi Cichlids would work. I think giving up either the Peacock or the Kenyi would be smart. Peacocks are not nearly as aggressive as Kenyi, so they may not work out well in the long run. They tend to be picked on when kept with more aggressive Cichlids. Whichever you choose, I'd get a handful more of them for sure. If you go with the Peacocks, good tankmates are Yellow Labs, Rusty Cichlids, Red Zebras, Greshakei, and Acei. If you choose the Kenyi, tankmates can be more aggressive...Red Zebras would be fine, Pseudotropheus socolofi, Cynotilapia afra cobue, and Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano Cichlids) would be good tankmates.

Actually the peacock seems to be the aggressive one, but he's slightly bigger than the kenyi. I'll see how it goes once I upgrade, I can always give the kenyi back and yellow labs look pretty awesome.

Thanks a bunch.

My yellow labs are in with Acei, red zebras, greshakei, cobalt blue zebras and an OB zebra and they all get along great. But, I dont have a peacock or Kenyi in the mix. I know a Kenyi would upset that balance, if for no other reason than too many yellow fish. Different species that look too much alike will tend to fight also.

Back
Top Bottom