URGENT Found fish dead!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was checking my tank like I always do just to make sure everything is ok and all are accounted for. Found this guy stuck to the AC 110. Do you think he was sick? Should I treat tank? Or maybe just got stuck to filter? Didn't think it would happen to these guys. Anyway took a couple pics.

Poor guy!! :(

View attachment 64172

View attachment 64173

Is this bloat?! I'm FREAKING OUT!! Please someone help!! LFS closes in an hour. If I need something I'll get it. I have ordered stuff for my fish first aid kit but nothing has arrived yet!! What should I do!?!?!

:(

Last edited:
well don't get too freaked out because of a death in your tank. it could be many reasons that don't mean your tank is in danger. did you test your water? i would run all my tests first to see if anything is out of whack with those numbers. test ammonia, nitrate and ph. use liquid tests. if those all come back good and the rest of your fish are o.k. do a pwc of about 25% and sit back and watch the tank. test your water again tomorrow. if results are good it probably was just a freak thing. you don't want to put a bunch of chemicals (medicines) into yuour tank unless absolutely necessary. the best thing you can do for your fishes health is to keep your water parameters as close to perfect as you can. what size tank do you have? how many fish in the tank? please give us as much info as possible. how often do you do water changes and how much?

Reactions: HN1
Never treat for something you haven't diagnosed. I agree that water parameters would be a good thing to check. Also, your other fish. Healthy fish don't get stuck to filters. There's something going on there. Any recent physical signs that the fish might have been sick? Any recent changes? Lots of info you've left out.

Reactions: HN1
I can't tell which one it is. It's so dark. I'm looking in the tank to see which one is missing.

Tested water.

Temp 78

Ammonia 0

pH 7.6

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 20

I know l left out a lot of info sorry was running out of the house to get a Xmas tree. Anyway. All fish seem healthy and active. Feed them every other day NLS pellets. Today was feeding day. Real driftwood and moss balls. Also have live Anubias. Water changes every Sunday. 25% unless issues with water, but since having the 75 I'm noticing the water conditions have been good. I do notice my nitrates are always 20 or sometimes even 40. I have 2 filters running. Penguin 350 and AC 110. Also have Rena 300 hooked up to a air wand. Heater is Aqueon pro 250. Lights are Solarmax extreme 4 bulb. 2 daylight and 2 blue also has 8 moonlight LED's.

I turn lights on at 5pm and shut them off around 9-10pm let moonlight run till midnight then darkness until natural light. Tank is away from any windows. No new additions to tank. Looking at fish now. Look healthy as ever!

Stock is 26 well... 25 Africans, upside down catfish and 1 cuckoo.

Last edited:
sometimes fish pass on without any obvious reason. that's what might have happened here. just keep your eye on the other fish and i would repeat tests tomorrow and do a water change for good measure. good luck. :)

Just double checked water conditions are fine although nitrate reading changed to now 40ppm. This test always messes with me. Should I do a water change? Add aquarium salt?

Also I didn't mean to come off like I was going to treat the tank I was asking if I should. I just got nervous... I'm new to this hobby and like most take great pride in my tank. I just buried the little guy in the backyard.

jpchin said:
sometimes fish pass on without any obvious reason. that's what might have happened here. just keep your eye on the other fish and i would repeat tests tomorrow and do a water change for good measure. good luck. :)

Setting up for a water change now. Will dose Prime per instructions.

sounds like a plan. my nitrates are always between 20-40. i do a 25% water change every 3 days so they never go over 40 which i think is respectable for a fw tank. i think your fish death should be treated as a fluke and continue as you've been doing. your water parameters are great. prime is highly recommended on this site. i also use it.

jpchin said:
sounds like a plan. my nitrates are always between 20-40. i do a 25% water change every 3 days so they never go over 40 which i think is respectable for a fw tank. i think your fish death should be treated as a fluke and continue as you've been doing. your water parameters are great. prime is highly recommended on this site. i also use it.

Doing wc now hopefully like you said just a fluke. Thanks guys!

one bit of advice on the nitrate test. i read where you should shake the first bottle for about 1 minute. add the 10 drops. then shake the 2nd bottle for 2minutes instead of the 1 minute in the directions. add the 10 drops. then shake the test tube for 1 minute (as stated) allow to sit for 5 minutes. then read the test IMMEDIATELY. if it sits longer the color gets darker as time passes. i use the kitchen timer on my stove so it reminds me right away to read the results. if you follow these instructions imo you'll get an accurate reading.

jpchin said:
one bit of advice on the nitrate test. i read where you should shake the first bottle for about 1 minute. add the 10 drops. then shake the 2nd bottle for 2minutes instead of the 1 minute in the directions. add the 10 drops. then shake the test tube for 1 minute (as stated) allow to sit for 5 minutes. then read the test IMMEDIATELY. if it sits longer the color gets darker as time passes. i use the kitchen timer on my stove so it reminds me right away to read the results. if you follow these instructions imo you'll get an accurate reading.

Thanks man.... I follow that to the T!!

Thanks again everyone!! Been a great help. Dosing Prime now. Water temp matching with hand an refilling.

I'm sorry to hear one of your fish passed. It happens sometimes. As everyone else said you don't want the be throwing meds at your tank if there are no signs of illness. Your waters good so just keep an eye on them. :flowers:

It's weird when stuff like that happens, and it freaks me out too! I had a fish completely and utterly vanish once, not a trace of him anywhere.

I'm glad everyone else in your tank looks okay, that's a good sign :)

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry to hear one of your fish passed. It happens sometimes. As everyone else said you don't want the be throwing meds at your tank if there are no signs of illness. Your waters good so just keep an eye on them. :flowers:

Thanks Mumma!! :(

Just did a 25% WC and dosed Prime cap and a half. When should I test water again? Fish seem happy! Active and playing around. Breaking my stones my by moving my Anubias around lol!!

Hope it was nothing more serious.

I agree with the posters that said to not medicate until you have identified a specific problem. Sometimes we just lose fish and it stinks. :(

Your water quality looks good, but I do think it is a good idea to do a water change anytime you notice something amiss. Clean water goes a long way!

Keep us posted on your other fish please. :)

severum mama said:
I agree with the posters that said to not medicate until you have identified a specific problem. Sometimes we just lose fish and it stinks. :(

Your water quality looks good, but I do think it is a good idea to do a water change anytime you notice something amiss. Clean water goes a long way!

Keep us posted on your other fish please. :)

Will do and thanks. I just finished a 25% WC and used Prime. Will be keeping an eye on them. Still can't identify the one the passed. I had 26 in there. I'm trying now to see which one has passed. Is it weird that I'm kinda sad? I'm new to the hobby and didn't think I would get attached.

I didn't know you had to wait ONLY 5 min... Is that just for the nitrate one? (not trying to hi-jack...)

Will do and thanks. I just finished a 25% WC and used Prime. Will be keeping an eye on them. Still can't identify the one the passed. I had 26 in there. I'm trying now to see which one has passed. Is it weird that I'm kinda sad? I'm new to the hobby and didn't think I would get attached.

I don't think it is weird. I was pretty heartbroken to find our wild Rotkeil severum pair on the carpet after both of them jumped out. Sometimes you just hit rough points in the hobby. It is part of it. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom