Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon breeder that I keep slightly over stocked with peacocks and mbuna. Due to the high number of fish I like to change out about 50% of water weekly. Right now I have been siphoning into a 1 gallon milk jug and this gets very tedious. What do others do to make water changes more efficient?

I do 20% changes on my 55 gal. With only 1 five gallon bucket. I do two gravel vacs to fill up my bucket twice dump and refill with the same five gallon bucket. I have heard of people getting sink attachments and filling large containers next to the tank treating, then using a pump to put new water back in. I really don't mind water changes good workout, invest heavily in clean 5 gallon buckets.

try using a garden hose from your tank and out a window. i have a pythn running from my tanks to my tub.

50' python that I run out my garage. No need to carry water anymore.

Try not to use a garden hose for addin water. It's ok for removing water but too many chloramines and bacteria build up in them.

Water Changes

I have a 40 gallon breeder that I keep slightly over stocked with peacocks and mbuna. Due to the high number of fish I like to change out about 50% of water weekly. Right now I have been siphoning into a 1 gallon milk jug and this gets very tedious. What do others do to make water changes more efficient?

Hello Aqua...

Cudos to you for knowing the importance of large, weekly water changes. I like to remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the water every week in my large, planted tanks. For me, this accomplishes three things: Keeps the water stable for the fish and plants and it means I never have to test the water and don't have to overfilter the tanks.

I'm "old school" and do the basics. Water changes are pretty simple. Get out a large tube syphon with a piece of sponge filter attached to the end with a rubber band, so I don't suck up anything but dirty water.

I use two hardware store, plastic 5 gallon buckets at a time and prime the hose and let the water run into one of the buckets, when it fills by half, I move the hose to the other bucket and dump the other in the toilet. I just rotate the buckets until the tank water is down by about 70 percent and then put my thumb over the end of the hose to stop the flow and remove the syphon. Takes about 15 minutes to do a 55 G tank. Again, pretty simple.

B

I didn't want to put the money out for a python but got sick of hauling buckets! My solution....I put a 50' hose on my siphon and ran the hose out the front door and to fill my tank I hook a garden hose to the kitchen sink. 6 tanks tank about 2 hours. Good luck!

Great ideas! One day I will get a python but I might get a long hose for my siphon and just stick it in the kitchen sink for the tank in the kitchen and out my window for the ones in the bedroom! I still need more buckets.

cichlid.greenhorn said:
No matter what you do and how you do it. You can never have enough clean 5 gallon buckets.

This is true! Even though I don't use buckets to do water changes I use em for everything else! lol

cichlid.greenhorn said:
No matter what you do and how you do it. You can never have enough clean 5 gallon buckets.

Amen to that one!!

I have random buckets with extra sand that has already been washed, spare rocks, etc. My favorite 15 gallon has recently been taken over by 20 something pounds of crushed coral.

Back
Top Bottom