What canister for a 75g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raym94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to start up a 75g tank with an Oscar and electric blue Dempsey. Is an FX5 too much for a tank this size? I am looking for the extra gph, but do not want to overwhelm the fish, especially when young.

If you want slightly slower flow. Why not mix it up with 2 eheim 2217 classics. This would also mean you could thoroughly clean one at a time so not risking a mini cycle. Also 2 filters could create clockwise or anti clockwise circulation without the need of powerheads.

Someone just like you with a simular sized tank swapped an fx5 for 2 eheims and couldnt be happier.

Personally I would use an FX5 in conjuction with an AC110 for redundancy/water polishing purposes. This would be a little more expensive than two 2217 classics but the in the long run a much for effective set up.
While Eheims are great filters I don't much like the classic series to much, the ecos are great for smaller tanks and the Pros would my choice for larger tanks with fish that have smaller bio-loads.

I had the fx5 on my 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank and only after a short time I found it to be a HUGE pain. I hated it. Things broke and I kept getting replacement parts sent to me and it would seize up. I'd have to run home and unplug it so it wouldn't burn up. This is just my experience with it. Not saying its bad just giving you one guys experience with it. I ran it along side a AC110 and I love those!

I grabbed another and now run 2 AC110's and have no issues.

Personally I would use an FX5 in conjuction with an AC110 for redundancy/water polishing purposes. This would be a little more expensive than two 2217 classics but the in the long run a much for effective set up.
While Eheims are great filters I don't much like the classic series to much, the ecos are great for smaller tanks and the Pros would my choice for larger tanks with fish that have smaller bio-loads.

You have experience with eheims and classics then mogurako? what did you use them for? Not having had an ecco but heard and researched bad reviews i cant really comment on them. Seriously you cant go wrong with a 2217 theyre tried and tested. Anyone whos used them or know anything about them knows the classics are Highly rated. Id go as far to say the classics as one of the best biological filters to date by any manufacturer. Theyre quite, reliable and last for years without fault.

You have experience with eheims and classics then mogurako? what did you use them for? Not having had an ecco but heard and researched bad reviews i cant really comment on them. Seriously you cant go wrong with a 2217 theyre tried and tested. Anyone whos used them or know anything about them knows the classics are Highly rated. Id go as far to say the classics as one of the best biological filters to date by any manufacturer. Theyre quite, reliable and last for years without fault.

Of course I have experince with the Classics, otherwise I would not be saying that I prefer the Fx5 over the Classics. I would simply say what I would reccomend. I had two 2217s on a 90 gallon Lake Tang tank, while they are built well I prefer a filter with the baskets and that are simpler to clean. The classics have no where near the biological surface area that the FX5 do, not to mention the GHP hardly stacks up. I am no way saying the 2217 is a bad filter I am simply giving my opion of what Id prefer to use in this application.

I use both Eheim and Fluval products on my tanks, they have yet to let me down yet. I have a 305 and 405 than have been running for years now with out inccident.

So you think id be better using one 2217 and an ac110 on my 65 cichlid tank? * Edit actually i can really fit a ac110 without cutting into the hud of the tank*

Back
Top Bottom