What cichlids will be ok together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have convicts, pair of FM and a pleco. Not that I'm going to add anything but me and friend were talking. What would go well in that tank?

I read somewhere that shoaling(if I spelled that right) fish could be kept. I guess you get all kinda of opinions. Was just curious on your thoughts.

bruinsbro1997 said:
How big is the tank?

If it's big enough, schooling fish could be used as target or dither fish, ex. giant danios, congo tetras, etc.

55 gallon. But not saying now. Hoping for Xmas the wife will let me get either a 75 or (wish full thinking) bigger. So giant danios, congo tetras would be good if I ever get a bigger tank then? Good to know. Also read, green terrors were ok. I'm new so I read a lot and well... You k ow the web. One site one thing another site another thing.

I stick to this site and have already learned A LOT! So I'll stick with you guys :)

A 75 would be plentry room for all your fish plus some dithers/targets ;)

IMO if you want something colorful, giant danios, congo tetras, and even some rainbowfish are great options.

Green terrors IMO are more aggressive than convicts and firemouths and might kill them.

bruinsbro1997 said:

IMO if you want something colorful, giant danios, congo tetras, and even some rainbowfish are great options.

Green terrors IMO are more aggressive than convicts and firemouths and might kill them.

Thanks for your input. Looks like a 75 might be a good gift for the wife to get me :)

bruinsbro1997 said:

I would have to agree, as a GT gets upwards of 12" you could do the GT and a pair of either the cons or fm's, but not both pairs. One pair of either will be ok with the larger aggressive cichlid as majority of the time they will be breeding so will be on edge defending their territory. That's jmo.

Good luck.

i read on wiki that they all should be good with a bigger thank than 20g

Convict2161 said:
If I do get the tank I'm probably gonna go with the conga tetras, reading up on them now.

Nice choice. All though I'm not a fan of small schooling fish the congo's are one of my favs. Them along with exodons(bucktooth tetras) very fun/cool group of fish to watch. And even cooler at feeding time.

The bucktooths get rather large for tetras. 3-4" I think. I reserched them as well back when I wanted to get back into the hobby. I am actually considering them again for a new 55 I'm cleaning out.

They are very cool, at feeding time it's always a show.

So yeah. I'm a fan of them as well. Good luck.

-Andrew-

Back
Top Bottom