What do you feed your fishies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am curious what all of you feed your fish? Which meats and vegetables. Need more ideas. Want to make fishies very happy. D

Go read the "civilized fish food debate" thread in Aquaria Off-topic forum, lots of neat info

I like to catch ocean smelt take out the eggs put them in ice cube trays with water and freeze them, adding a few coral foods and garlic for added nutrients

I bought some frozen cubes.i cutoff the filter and the circulation fan and still the chum went all over the place.. Took forever to clean with my eheim vac

food. i feed omega one pellets and flake (cichlid formula) and Omega one super veggie flakes. As far a store bought frozen food i feed brine shrimp and blood worms and fresh foods are things like kale, chard, green leaf, red leaf, zucchini, green beans, peas, apple, banana, strawberries, and sure im missing some from my list. I grind up my own beef and chicken hearts as needed but its not large part of what they get.

What do u think if u fed them spaghetti squash. If u know what it is advice would be great cause I have a lot from over the summer.

Try a little piece, my only concern is it might break apart quickly that could make quite the mess. I am interested to see

Yes I have lake Malawi cichlids... And I feed them spectrum cichlid pellets, extreme sea weed, and frozen krill. The frozen blocks I bought are mostly green foods that go everywhere. I bought the froz worms as an occasional treat. What do you suggest for actual veggies.

Douglas4701 said:
I am curious what all of you feed your fish? Which meats and vegetables. Need more ideas. Want to make fishies very happy. D

Feeding time at my house is a big deal lol. Took my husband a month to learn to do it right... I didn't think it was that difficult lol.

Haha, it's not really ;D I like to vary it tho. My Mixed Africans get NLS Thera A, Cucumbers, broccoli, romaine lettuce, zucchini, Seaweed sheets and the occasional Brine Shrimp as a treat :D The Compressiceps in that tank is target fed Scallops, Mussels, Oysters, Beefheart, Blood Worms, Clams, Silversides & Krill.

The Peacock tank gets the same stuff as the Compressiceps :)

One of my fry tanks is exclusively on NLS Thera A. I've tried offering veggies but they don't show much interest. They live in a planted tank so I'm sure they nibble here & there. They go nuts for they're brine shrimp "treats" they get occasionally :D The other fry tank is very heavily planted with all kinds of moss to pick on and I feed them Cobalt Cichlid Flakes since they are too small to eat Thera A. They get a bit of brine here n there also.

I feed my saltwater sera marine pellets soaked in 'zoe' and 'zoecon' with some 'kent marine C' along with misis and brine shrimp. And my malawi cichlids get omega one veggie flakes with the ocational frozen daphnia. They all do very well!

I keep hearing these omega one veggie flakes is something everyone uses. I am going to get some this weekend. Btw is it just me or do cichlids know when the food is coming? The aratus takes the whole krill right out of my fingers and she is still a kid.

Douglas4701 said:
I keep hearing these omega one veggie flakes is something everyone uses. I am going to get some this weekend. Btw is it just me or do cichlids know when the food is coming? The aratus takes the whole krill right out of my fingers and she is still a kid.

Haha that's funny you brought that up
My tank is in the wall and the backside is in the laundry room. The door is quite and probably a good 20 steps away and they will hear that door open. I think its funny cause ill be watching them in a chair and my wife will go in to do laundry and they all get in a big group looking up at the back of the tank.

I did forget I feed veggies from time to time and omega one veggie flakes to the little ones once a week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom