What in the world are my blood parrots doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILoveMyFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, to all of those who have been helping me I want to say thank you. You have made us come so far. You saved our fish's lives from the tragedies that WalMart and PetsMart's advice had started. You'll be glad to hear that we have a much more powerful filter now. 40 gallon tank - rated for 70 gallons and we sadly gave away all the fish (mixed cichlids (african and southamerican) and kept the blood parrot and added another blood parrot. So now we have 2 blood parrots and we're going to let them have the tank to themselves. Also, I couldn't find any biro spira....i think that is what it was called so we had to buy some Cycle (beneficial bacteria) and the water is reading good....for now. Will it stay that way? Started tank 5th....added fish 6th....had bad ammonia problems until we used the Cycle.

Ok, here's the question. What in the world !?!? Our fish have been scared, having changes done to the tank and being new - totally freaked out for 3 or 4 days. Finally yesterday they started coming out and getting comfortable. The BP that has been here the longest (around 15 days) took over the planter (pot) that I put in there for the new BP. He/she picks at the other fish (new one) whenever he/she comes into the pot with him/her. lol. ...looks kinda like a bite but not really. Well, I was just starting to get worried because he/she was doing it more and more and then all of a sudden something REALLY WEIRD happened. They started connecting at the mouth over and over and over and chasing eachother in a circle.....going upside down over and over. They did this for 20 minutes straight. Are they FLIRTING?? DOES THIS MEAN I GOT A GIRL AND A BOY? Oh, I hope so. ha ha. Don't tell me what I want to hear. Give it to me straight. lol. Also when they were done their colors were WAY DARKER than before .......WAY WAY WAY DARKER. ....so weird. I am guessing they were kinda making out and then they parted their ways and are hiding again and they act like young people all in a huff trying to calm down. lol. I don't know anything about fish though. This is my first tank. It's so sad they can't have babies. One more thing the older BP's mouth is open wider now than it was before. His mouth is bigger. ?? Please tell me what's going on. ...fingers crossed....
Thanks to all.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but when they were going in circles over and over it wasn't violent....it was actually kinda graceful but I could be totally off base with my opinion. They weren't chasing eachother...they were going upside down over and over with eachother. ? Thanks alot !

I bought another planter-pot and sometimes they each go into their own and are fine and sometimes they fight over the older one. Maybe they just like to squabble. ha ha. So ALL of you think they are males? ha ha. Thanks alot.

Oh, I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering if I have a 55 gallon tank can I but 3 blood parrots in it and it be big enough for them even in adulthood? Is there any way to sorta guess which fish is a female when you buy a fish from the store? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom