What requirements do Angels need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm an oddball and catfish guy but I'm giving my wife my 29 gallon to try and get her into the hobby. She likes the Angel fish a lot but I saw they get to 6" which is a bit much for the 29. How long does the journey to adult hood take for these fish? Also are they schooling fish? The tank will be pretty much devoted to them with the exception of a banjo cat for cleanup and an unknown pleco (no one can figure out what it is, tried plecofanatics and planet catfish, it's very cool looking though). Anyway, the tank is already established as I had some other fish in it that I moved to my 55, filtration is an Aquaclear 300. Would 2 or 3 be a bad idea? We can always upgrade the tank when needed, at least this time she won't be able to complain about getting a bigger tank :D

By the way, here is the pleco if anyone has any info on it I would greatly appreciate it.

img_525207_0_e45624f792487c82a5aa94fb429da07d.jpg

Well, it's been a very long time sinI kept any angelfish but I can give you some basic facts. They are cichlids, but probably the least aggressive of the cichlids. They can be fed no problem with flakes even though they are mainly carnivorous. If you buy them in your area they are likely adjusted to your pH already and were possibly bred in the area. a pH around a neutral 7 is good for them but they can survive a relatively wide pH for cichlids. IME it's only a couple years before they hit full adulthood.
As for being kept in a 29 gallon. One of the most popular set ups for that size is to buy a solitary angel and then smaller fish to surround it. If you want to keep multiple fish a breeding pair or three females would probably also be fine in a 29 gallon. However if you have multiple males you may have problems with aggression. Being cichlids they aren't really schooling fish so no need to worry about their numbers, just try to keep more females than males in the tank if you get more than two.

I would be fine with one angel, just have to ask the wife. What is a recommended schooling fish to go along with a single angel? I already have Tiger Barbs and Rosey Barbs in another aquarium, I could use those or buy something else.

Two compatibles ones work well in a 29 gallon tank. They actually make a fine display. Just add them after the water has been aged a bit. They are very friendly and become almost dog like. Just keep the water clean and give them some plants for cover. I love mine.

I would think a school of tetras that highlight your angel would look really cool. Barbs and angels may have issues with each other. I moved my angels out of my 30 gal when I tried some tiger/rosy barbs some time ago.

I just put 6 quarter size angels in a 20 tall to grow them. I had 1 variatus in the tank, removed it, changed 3/4 of the water and added the 6 angels. They are doing fine. They do not need to be added to a mature tank. This tank will do them for a few months until they out grow of it. The key to healty angels is clean water, as with all fish. I have grown out 4 to adult size in a 20, with appropriate water changes. In fact I have 7 adults in a 30 right now (yes, overcrowded) in an effort to get a couple of pairs. A couple in a 29 with some barbs or larger tetras (preferably tetras) make a nice display. You won't know until you try, how well they will get along. It is always a crap shoot withangels. I have had some that are just plain nasty, and others that get along beautifully. Good luck.

You can do about 4 small ones in your 29 and let them grow out and if you get two that are compatible.. or even a pair then that would be nice in a 29 gallon with a school of tetras and a school of cory catfish :)

If adding more than one, buy similar sized ones at the same time. Trying to add another angel later can really be trouble. They are nice fish to have, and will dance for you for food. They are consumate beggars, and are always scanning the room trying to entice someone into feeding them. There are many color variations to choose from as well.

TomK2 said:
If adding more than one, buy similar sized ones at the same time. Trying to add another angel later can really be trouble. They are nice fish to have, and will dance for you for food. They are consumate beggars, and are always scanning the room trying to entice someone into feeding them. There are many color variations to choose from as well.

TRUE!!! Mine are always begging for food... LOL.. And definitely buy all the same size all at once.

yah i added 3 to my 55gal with 2 sub adults already in it, at first the three would catch beatings from the other 2, then after a while they would all school together, took a week or 2 though..

Angels are very elegant fish but they eat like hogs if you let them. I bought three that had the body size of a quarter in March and now they're the size of a silver dollar. That's just body size not including fins. Two of them have paired off and have spawned multiple times. When they spawn they make life heck for the rest of their tank mates. Otherwise they are very tame and will follow me from one end of the tank to the other and will eat out of my hand. Even though they could, they haven't eaten any of my neon tetras and seem to like veggies. They're cool fish, I love mine. Avoid fin nippers as tanks mates.

Back
Top Bottom