Koi angelfish egg advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bulatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So this my first time having any fish eggs pretty cool, i barely noticed them. They are on my heater, i just bought a breeding chamber thing but since they are on my heater what is my options.

do i perhaps get a brush and try to gently brush them off my heater into the breeding chamber? or just give the heater a little shake underwater and detach the eggs maybe? they will most likely get eaten i imagine but perhaps i can learn a thing or 2 here about breeding fish eggs and give it a solid attempt. i do have other tanks but they aren't quite set up for this.

So this my first time having any fish eggs pretty cool, i barely noticed them. They are on my heater, i just bought a breeding chamber thing but since they are on my heater what is my options.

do i perhaps get a brush and try to gently brush them off my heater into the breeding chamber? or just give the heater a little shake underwater and detach the eggs maybe? they will most likely get eaten i imagine but perhaps i can learn a thing or 2 here about breeding fish eggs and give it a solid attempt. i do have other tanks but they aren't quite set up for this.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do for these eggs other than turning off the heater or removing the heater to another tank. When the heater turns on, it will be cooking the eggs. Angelfish eggs are very sticky and trying to get them off will cause them to break open. If they were fertilized, they should hatch in about 3 days at 78-80 degrees. Warmer temps will speed up the hatch time, cooler temps will slow it down. Once they hatch, the parents will move the fry around to help protect them so when they hatch, before they get moved, you'll want to remove the fry by using a siphon hose and siphon them into either another smaller tank ( 5 gallons for under 50 fry or 10 gallon for more than 50 fry) or a small container to release them into the other tank. Use the water from the main tank for the new tank for now. If the parents are caring for the eggs, you will see them using a fin to fan water over the eggs. If there are other fish in the tank, they can become very aggressive protecting their eggs.

If the eggs were not fertilized or possibly already damaged, they will turn white in roughly 24 hours of being laid. If they all turn white, best to wipe the heater clean as the dead eggs will fungus over and if the fish try to eat them, a common occurrence, can cause issues down the road. If only some of the eggs turn white, they are dead but the other tannish colored eggs are alive. The parents should pick off the dead eggs or keep them from fungusing.
First spawns do have a long history of failing so let's start here and see how it goes. In the meantime, here's some more information for what's coming up:

Just so you know what you are getting into, here's a thread about raising Angelfish. It covers just about everything you might experience breeding and keeping Angelfish. Happy reading. :whistle: (y) https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

cool cool yeah i seen them fanning the eggs was interesting. im gonna try to buy a heater tommorow and switch it and see what happens. can i not leave the eggs/fry if i have any just in my main tank but in a breeding container thing closed off from the other fish? i know ideally in the future i should have my 15g set up nicely with alot of plants and decor only and put them in there but for now i guess my first option is my only option really. will see how it goes. guess i shall prepare for the next time :D

cool cool yeah i seen them fanning the eggs was interesting. im gonna try to buy a heater tommorow and switch it and see what happens. can i not leave the eggs/fry if i have any just in my main tank but in a breeding container thing closed off from the other fish? i know ideally in the future i should have my 15g set up nicely with alot of plants and decor only and put them in there but for now i guess my first option is my only option really. will see how it goes. guess i shall prepare for the next time :D

In reality, when you are trying to raise the fry, it's best to start them in a smaller tank with not much in there. You don't want the fry to have to hunt too hard for the food so the less decor and substrate you have in the rearing tank the better so that food cannot hide or get lost and decay the water quality. In this pic: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14898-picture73118.html you can see all that is necessary for the fry. You'll notice their orange bellies. That's all the brine shrimp nuplii they just ate. (y)
In this pic, https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14898-picture73137.html you'll see how large they are and still in the same setup. It's not until they are pea sized before you need to move them into a decorated tank.

I'm not sure what kind of breeding container you are talking about but I've never used anything other than a tank of their own. If you use too small of a container and the water quality degrades, it kills the fry. :( So more water is better. (y)

angelfish layed new eggs and i just transffered them to my 20g tank got it setup just now. i used an already cycled sponge filter for the 20g. alot of algae came off from it, cleaned most of it out but a little algae debri isnt gonna hurt the eggs or fry if they hatch right?

it was funny they layed eggs on this little thing with 3 suction cups and i couldnt get it off the glass and the angelfish were ramming my hand over and over. hopefully they dont hate me now D: or not afraid to make more eggs in the future dont know if that ever happens

i had 4 cichlids in a tank and took one out cause he was getting bullied. now the other 3 hate me and if i ever step foot in the room they are in. they dart/go crazy and hide. have to get rid of them soon cause of this lol its no fun taking care of them.

No, actually a little algae debris will benefit the fry once they start free swimming. That kind of stuff will have small infusoria on it that fry can eat.
In the egg stage, you only needed an airstone to blow water over the eggs to keep them clean, There's nothing in the tank to feed the biological filter in the sponge. You really don't need to use any kind of filter until the fry are free swimming which is roughly a week after the eggs are laid. If you use any kind of antiseptic to keep fungus off the eggs, that will kill the biological filter in the sponge so you are best to remove the sponge until it is needed.

As for the parents, they will get over it. If they don't have the eggs to care for, in anywhere from 10- 28 days they should spawn again. Just condition them with good high protein foods and add a meal of frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms into the feeding schedule to add some chiton into their diet that will help them eliminate all the extra protein. I usually made that their last meal of the day. The proof it worked was always on the bottom of the tank in the morning. ;) ;) (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom