What tetras to finish off SA 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khazmachi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need a little help deciding on a tetra to finish the stock on my 75. I have lots of fake plants, driftwood, and a couple rocks. Filtered with a cascade 1000 canister, Aquaclear 50 HOB, and Whisper 60 HOB. I currently have 1 Severum, 3 keyholes, and 3 angels. All are still juvies so hopefully they don't try to make snacks out of my new additions. I wanted to get Buenos Aires Tetra, but have read they can be nippy. Do you think in a group of about 10 they would keep it to themselves? Or should I find another tetra that won't go for my Angels fins?

A nice school of Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis is a sight to be seen.

The hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis aka "lemon tetra" is a very nice choice. I have a large school of Buenos aires in my 125g sa tank and they are very cool.

I have also thought about Colombian Tetras, but any adult size ones I have looked at have looked kinda haggerd.

I have over 140 Hyphessobrycon anisitsi (buenes aires) throughout my house/fish room and they are great with all types of cichlids. The reason I choose these is they're bulky, quick, and cheap at Petsmart as they're on sale for $1 all the time!

Last edited:
I have a large school of Lemon and Colombian Red Fin Tetra in my tank with Discus, lovely fish. I recently replaced my Rummynose for the Colombians and its really made the tank come to life.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I was on the right track, and now have a few good options. Now it just comes down to what is in stock and healthy at the LSF

Yea the guy at my LFS was really trying to push Congo Tetras, and Rainbows on me. He didn't seem to understand the SA theme. I agree that congos are pretty awesome and I'd like to have them in another setup someday, just not my current one

Back
Top Bottom