Advice on what to add to my 60l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bewildered_Hag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I need some advice in regards to what I could add in regards to fish to my 60l community tank, planted with sand.
Currently there is one betta, one pleco, 2 apple snails and some sand snails. Would it be able to hold a small school of tetras OR raboras (like 6-8) AND 3 kuhli loaches. Or is that too much? Should I stick to either tetra/rasbora or kuhli instead? The betta has stayed with 9 tetras in 60 l before with no proplem.

Thanks for any advice

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean or suck the gunk off the top of the substrate when you do a water change?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

-------------------

I don't normally recommend keeping Bettas with other fish, especially if the other fish are brightly coloured or live near the surface. The male Bettas often consider these fish as intruders into their territory and attack them. Dull coloured fish and fish that live near the bottom are less likely to be attacked.

Some Bettas are fine with other fish and some snap suddenly. There's no way to tell which fish will get along with others or if/ when it will snap.

I wouldn't add anymore bottom dwelling fish because there are already things living there. If the tank is established and gets regular water changes, and the Betta has been with something like Harlequin rasboras and was fine with them, that would probably be ok but you will have to monitor him for any signs of aggression.

Hello and thank you for your answer :)
This is an established tank that has been running well for about 1 year and a half. I received this tank with two redbreast acaras and 9 pistella tetras as well as the bottom feeders I have mentioned. I do weekly 20% water changes with sand cleaning. The filter is an Aquael VERSAMAX FZN-2 that I clean about once every month or so.
I wanted to establish my own community in there so I have recently rehomed the acaras and put in the betta the same day. He is happy in there now it seems so i was planning to switch the 9 pistalla with one of my suggestions above. If I would choose some harlequin rasboras would you go for maybe 6/7 or 9/10?
Im also open to other suggestions as what I wrote if you have some :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean or suck the gunk off the top of the substrate when you do a water change?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

-------------------

I don't normally recommend keeping Bettas with other fish, especially if the other fish are brightly coloured or live near the surface. The male Bettas often consider these fish as intruders into their territory and attack them. Dull coloured fish and fish that live near the bottom are less likely to be attacked.

Some Bettas are fine with other fish and some snap suddenly. There's no way to tell which fish will get along with others or if/ when it will snap.

I wouldn't add anymore bottom dwelling fish because there are already things living there. If the tank is established and gets regular water changes, and the Betta has been with something like Harlequin rasboras and was fine with them, that would probably be ok but you will have to monitor him for any signs of aggression.
Hello and thank you for your answer
This is an established tank that has been running well for about 1 year and a half. I received this tank with two redbreast acaras and 9 pistella tetras as well as the bottom feeders I have mentioned. I do weekly 20% water changes with sand cleaning. The filter is an Aquael VERSAMAX FZN-2 that I clean about once every month or so.
I wanted to establish my own community in there so I have recently rehomed the acaras and put in the betta the same day. He is happy in there now it seems so i was planning to switch the 9 pistalla with one of my suggestions above. If I would choose some harlequin rasboras would you go for maybe 6/7 or 9/10?
Im also open to other suggestions as what I wrote if you have some :)

Harlequin rasboras do best in big groups so 9 or 10 would be better than 6.

Ideally you should have removed the pristellas before adding the betta so he doesn't get stressed out when you try to remove the pristellas :)

Aahh okey, I was wondering if I made a mistake there. Hmm I thought it was maybe better to keep them there in the start so hes not in the tank by himself for too long in regards to him becoming territorial…but I guess its worse to stress him even more? Haha im new to putting new fish in. Worst case I could just keep the pristella in there…

Pristella tetras are pretty hardy fish and are peaceful enough not to harass the Betta. If he doesn't attack them and you don't mind them, they should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom