whats your preferred filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
whats the preferred filter? i like the bio-wheel... anything wrong with that? keep in mind im not made of money so i cant just go pick up a fluval fx5 or whatever...

Canister filters, by far. Whether it's fluval, eheim, or rena... those are my preferred filters. For HOB's, aquaclear is my choice. For super cheap, super bio filtration (but not asthetically pleasing in a display tank) a sponge filter is the way to go.

I prefer sumps over a canister or HOB's, there's just to many positives over canisters but the negative thing is the noise of running water can be annoying sometimes.

OsciTheOscar said:
whats the preferred filter? i like the bio-wheel... anything wrong with that? keep in mind im not made of money so i cant just go pick up a fluval fx5 or whatever...

For me it depends on tank size and stock. Anything 40g and up, or messy fish (goldfish/GSP), I'd say a canister and I prefer fluval cans since their media arrangement is very flexable and the ease of cleaning. For 30g and below (low bioload), I prefer HOB and my suggestion would be the Aqua Clear line of filters.

I have a cascade700 in my 55gal with a bio-wheel350 and i thought that canisters were better. I researched it and my canister is rated for up to 75gal and pumps 185gph, now my bio-wheel is rated for up to a 70gal tank and pumps 350 gph... Whats the advantage/disadvantage to these 2 types?

And i think aquaclear makes cheap and ugly looking filters... I have one and i cant stand how it looks...

I prefer bio-wheels. Four of five of my tanks have them. I have pairs on my 28g and 55g. I've never had an issue, except once when I bought a brand new one that wouldn't turn on. On this site, for HOBs, a majority recommends ACs. But, I've read and heard elsewhere so much bad about them, that I don't think I would ever go for it. Canisters are great for larger tanks, but then you don't get the soothing sound of the water.

If youre talking canisters I prefer my fluvals, if a hang on back, by far the aquaclear. I've been using aquaclears since the 90's and never ever had a problem with them.

For maintenance I prefer the canister, nice and easy to disassenble and get it done.

Just a little tidbit of info for Bio-wheel owners, Walmarts AquaTech filter cartridges fit perfectly and are half the cost of Marineland.

For the biowheel filter and HOB when I used them I saved the black cartridge ( or blue) filter cartridge. I'd tear the media off and rinse. Then bought a roll of the corse media ( like used on the sump) and put some charcoal in ( if preferred) a piece of media and use a stocking to hold it together.... NVR had a prob and a ton cheaper!! I pref. Canisters.

Just a little tidbit of info for Bio-wheel owners, Walmarts AquaTech filter cartridges fit perfectly and are half the cost of Marineland.

I thought changing the filter is not recommended? I know you don't change the bio-wheel, but I thought the filter media should just be washed in the old tank water?

I thought changing the filter is not recommended? I know you don't change the bio-wheel, but I thought the filter media should just be washed in the old tank water?

You are correct. If you do need to change out your filter, add it to your unit so the water flows through the old filter then the new filter for 2-3 weeks before removing the old one if you can. This will allow the new filter to seed and hopefully prevent any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

If your cartridge has charcoal integrated you want to remove it if you can, and run the charcoal in a seperate biobag as charcoal needs to be replaced more frequently then the filter. If you don't have room in the unit for two filters you can always hang the new one in your tank under the outflow.

My preffered filtration would be canister and thats what I'll use for my 29g. My 18g I'm using aquaclear HoB.

Last edited:

One of the downsides of cartridge filters is the fact at some point they will fall apart and need to replaced.

You are correct. If you do need to change out your filter, add it to your unit so the water flows through the old filter then the new filter for a month or so before removing the old one if you can. This will allow the new filter to seed and hopefully prevent any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

It only takes 10-14 days to seed a new filter.

It only takes 10-14 days to seed a new filter.

Yeah, my bad, I tend to err on the side of caution.

I was told it was at least a month before I could remove my ac30 and let my ac70 run solo....is it really only two weeks?

Thats slightly different. You don't have direct flow from the old filter through the new filter. It wont be the same for every tank either.

Last edited:
Canisters are great for larger tanks, but then you don't get the soothing sound of the water.

I have mine sending the water up into the side of the tank and it makes a slight stream noise, but then my tanks not full full (about 4 inches below top)

And I'll be the odd ball and say under gravel filter, I have all three main ones (canister, hob and UGF) and like the UGF for the simple fact it drags most everything down where its out of sight *grin* when I move my 125 is getting a combo UGF and canister setup.

Back
Top Bottom