Who should I get rid of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Those of you who read my previous thread know I'm having some aggression issues. Well to clear things up, I have no idea what happened but now my firemouth is pretty mellow. He's calm now. However, my convict does not get along with my Zebra Obliquidens... She's always chasing him. Not always, but enough IMO. My other stock is this:

2 firemouth
1 keyhole
1 buffalo head
1 jewel
1 convict
1 Zebra Obliquidens
3 GBR
10 cories

It's a 75 gallon with lots of caves/plants/cover. My question is should I get rid of the convict or the Zebra Obliquidens? And could I add anymore cichlids? Something you would suggest?

Can you move the zebra out for a day or two and see how the convict does? I have tested things out before by moving 1 fish to a 5 gallon bucket then the other. That is what I would do in your case.

Well I only have a 29 gallon tank. But there are delicate fish such as angels in there... Would you suggest putting the zebra in there? I wouldn't risk putting the convict in there! Ha

I would get rid of the aggressor

is it the possibly pairing male firemouth or is it the convict makes no sense to get rid of a non aggressor.

In my experience some aggression is fine so you may not want to get rid of # 2 because I have had the bullied fish become an even bigger aggressor.

So I would try the bucket that rivers is suggesting or I would rehome the boss which I think you said was the firemouth

Why the jewel ? She's actually pretty calm. She mostly hangs out in the back.

Its just my opinion I dont like mixing but if the jewel is no problem I would at least move the zebra. I really like jewels but have never had them and was considering setting up a tank just for a pair of them.

Its just my opinion I dont like mixing but if the jewel is no problem I would at least move the zebra. I really like jewels but have never had them and was considering setting up a tank just for a pair of them.

Yeah I understand the mixing part. Some of the fish are rescues. ( like the jewel ) ... So I didn't do in intentionally. I might just have to move the zebra. I'm just afraid if I do that then the convict will find a new target

Yeah I understand the mixing part. Some of the fish are rescues. ( like the jewel ) ... So I didn't do in intentionally. I might just have to move the zebra. I'm just afraid if I do that then the convict will find a new target

That's what I know will happen a lot of times they pick a target when the target is dead or rehomed they find another target

That's what I know will happen a lot of times they pick a target when the target is dead or rehomed they find another target

But if I get rid of the convict will the zebra find a target since he's not bullied anymore?

Here is the pecking order

Male Firemouth
Convict
Jewel
Buffalo Head

Then the female firemouth, keyhole, GBRs, and Zebra just chill

And who is attacking the others? Chasing is ok attacking is another story

I would rehome the aggressor but keep the boss if he is friendly or the # 2

All tanks need a boss to avoid blood baths

Well no one really attacks. They all just chase. The only casualty I've noticed was a bitten tail on my zebra

If you have a bucket and a spare heater I would try what rivers suggested and put the convict in isolation just to see the tank without him in it first.

But if that's not an option than I would just rehome the convict

Alright thank you! How long should I leave him in there?

I would try 2 or 3 days just to see how the tank is without him just make sure to watch what is happening everyday

For him I would do a 100% wc everyday using tank water

Back
Top Bottom