Why are keyhole cichlids so awkward?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Maybe it's just mine but I've noticed that keyhole cichlids are really really awkward, both as far as cichlids are concerned and fish in general. At the moment I have three keyholes, a male female pair and another male cichlid. I've had them for over a year, the female and the lone male I've had for about 2 years. Through this entire time, I've found it difficult to ensure they get enough food around my other fish. Over time I've learned to stock the tanks they're in and feed them accordingly. I've kept and bred many kinds of cichlids, and I've noticed the keyholes have much smaller pupils in their eyes than any other fish. Could they have impaired vision? When they feed from the substrate, they seem to smell for their food, often having difficulty finding it and even passing it a few times before actually being successful. I want to breed them, but they always eat the eggs. In about another month I'll raise the eggs myself, but I don't want to breed unhealthy fish. Videos I've watched show some keyholes who are like normal fish, and some who are a little awkward and jerky in motion, but nowhere near the extent of my fish.

Anyone who has any experience with keyholes, please help:thanks:

What are the tank mates and what size tank. Keyholes are shy peaceful cichlids and need to feel safe.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are the tank mates and what size tank. Keyholes are shy peaceful cichlids and need to feel safe.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Over the time I've had them they've been in all four of my tanks with varying numbers and species of other tankmates and fellow keyholes. Right now the pair's in a 29 gallon with about 15 dime to quarter size angels, averaging at nickels, and 6 neon tetras. It's not too densely planted, but it's sand substrate, and they spawn regularly in a terra cotta pot placed on it's side toward the center of the aquarium

Mine are super eaters in highly stocked community tank. Don't mean to alarm you, but mine don't sound anything like yours. I have three as well. They eat pretty much anything / anywhere without any problems. Hope this helps.

But they do have unusual personalities for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine are super eaters in highly stocked community tank. Don't mean to alarm you, but mine don't sound anything like yours. I have three as well. They eat pretty much anything / anywhere without any problems. Hope this helps.

But they do have unusual personalities for sure...

What do you mean by "unusual"? :blink:

Wow those are gorgeous! They also seem a fair amount bigger than my keyholes. And they must be super eaters if they compete with bolivian rams, which can be very aggressive (territorial) eaters. Have you ever bred them?

Well... For starters they are constantly changing colors & shape (bullet like - fins all flared out). I can only see their keyhole every so often.

They also have what I can only describe as a beard that they like to show off to each other.

When someone / something scares them, they dart to the back of the tank & turn almost black. Otherwise they aren't really shy at all.

But they really do get along well with others.

Baby angels are bad tank mates for shy keyholes. Those things are gluttons and it's no surprise you're having trouble feeding them

I'd also recommend a larger tank for these. A 29 is small to have three adults in and it sounds like they're a bit stunted if they're smaller than bbush's

Baby angels are bad tank mates for shy keyholes. Those things are gluttons and it's no surprise you're having trouble feeding them

I'd also recommend a larger tank for these. A 29 is small to have three adults in and it sounds like they're a bit stunted if they're smaller than bbush's

Ah okay that makes sense. At the moment my 55 gallon is full of juvie cichlids but my plan is to keep the keyholes in there again with some yellow convicts (Cryptoheros nanoluteus), and maybe some gbrs. The pair is in the 29 with the angels, and the third male is in a 10 gallon. I'll move them to the 55 asap though! :thanks:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine are in a 56 gallon; they feed from the top. The only competition they really have up there is a few adult angels & some hatchets. Rams won't venture that far up (24").

Cryptoheros nanoluteus look sweet btw ... Where can you get them?

Mine are in a 56 gallon; they feed from the top. The only competition they really have up there is a few adult angels & some hatchets. Rams won't venture that far up (24").

Cryptoheros nanoluteus look sweet btw ... Where can you get them?

The only place I've ever found them is online (I plan to get 6 from a breeder on aquabid and let them pair)
And I suppose I also plan to get a set of healthy keyholes also off aquabid sometime in the near future

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom