Yellow lab bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Only one out of the four I have looks bloated and I was certain I got all males so idk....is this a normal thing for this species? I really don't want breeding couples. I'll try and snap a pic but they are quick and my phone sucks

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry it's to camera shy, this is as good as I can get it.

Attachments

• 1439536223532.jpg
    1439536223532.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 81
It's definitely not a great picture to try to make any determination from.
But from the coloration on the fins I would guess that is a male.

Bloating is not a good sign. Any other signs of illness (not eating, white stringy poop etc)?

No acting happy and eating bur hiding a little while the others swim freely

You think blood worms that are a little frost bitten can cause this?

Is this a new fish in the tank?
If it is a new fish to the tank it may just take time for it to find its place in the pecking order. What other fish are in the tank?

I am not sure about the blood worms. Still eating is a good sign though, and it rules out being a female holding eggs (the only time my fish become shy or reclusive).
When in doubt I have fed my fish a couple of feedings with pellets soaked in an epsom salt solution (3% I believe). It helps flush out their system. No negative side effects either.

I have the salts, I did a 50% water change a week ago, it's 60 gallons with 6 baby frontosa, 4 yellow labs, 3 clown loaches, two leopard loaches and a 10 inch pleco I need to relocate lol

I feed nls pellets, but they were used for large cichlids I had in the tank before. Yeah I had some monsters in a 60 and was a bad choice till I got wise thanks to some on here.

The pellets are small enough to be eatin though, hmmmmm, I wonder if the yellow lab is just gassy and needs a good ol fart lol jk

Hard to tell though.....

Attachments

• 1439543296528.jpg
    1439543296528.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 75
Yeah pleco needs to go, even though I like him alot.

Attachments

• 1439543406113.jpg
    1439543406113.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 73
The pellets are small enough to be eatin though, hmmmmm, I wonder if the yellow lab is just gassy and needs a good ol fart lol jk

:lol:
I would start with the soaked food first and see in a day or two if he comes around. Unless of course new symptoms emerge.

I have the salts, I did a 50% water change a week ago, it's 60 gallons with 6 baby frontosa, 4 yellow labs, 3 clown loaches, two leopard loaches and a 10 inch pleco I need to relocate lol

I am not one to critizise anyone on here, as I still consider myself a newbie at this hobby but...

I assume you have plans for a much bigger tank. That's a whole lotta fish as they mature. The Frontosa alone need double that tank.

Yeah I have a 125 in route good sir :)

You think blood worms that are a little frost bitten can cause this?

I don't think that you should feed mbuna any thing high in protein. I believe that will cause the bloating

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So blood worms have alot of crude protein, should I lay off on it?

I would lay off the bloodworms all together, and anything that's high in protein, or high in fish meal. Most Malawi/mbuna are primarily herbivores. I haven't looked at the pics you posted because I am on my phone (small screen), but you may want to google "Malawi Bloat" and see if it matches what you're dealing with.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom