Yellow lab holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diego21

Aquarium Advice Regular
An I put my holding yellow lab in my grow out tank with some other fry that are about 2-3 weeks old? Will she eat them?

I'd move her back to the main tank as soon as she spits her fry...provide plenty of hiding places for the 2-3week old fry as well..

Very true, you know it's funny cause the most obvious solutions seem to never come to mind when you need them too :) lol but that's why you guys are here :) this community rocks :) thanks guys

An I put my holding yellow lab in my grow out tank with some other fry that are about 2-3 weeks old? Will she eat them?

I don't mean to be smart, but nobody answered the question. I'm in the same situation. I'm pretty sure my Lab is holding again, but I've got 3 different batches in the breeder tank now. Can she free swim without hurting them until she spits?

Also this may sound like a stupid question. They are all her offspring, Will she recognize them as her own baby's or not???

That's a possibility.She wouldn't eat her current batch but perhaps the older batch she would.
What are you intending to do with all your fry?

That's a possibility.She wouldn't eat her current batch but perhaps the older batch she would.
What are you intending to do with all your fry?

I have No clue....

I was actually thinking I would just let nature run it's course. I want to save the fry, but when is enough /enough.

MikeWidd said:
I have No clue....

I was actually thinking I would just let nature run it's course. I want to save the fry, but when is enough /enough.

You have just hit the nail on the head.
Yellow labs are prolific breeders.They are forever holding and you will soon be overrun with fry.
I saved my first couple of batches but it soon became clear to me that I didn't have the means to keep them all and that they had no real monetary value.Most lfs's already have them and if your lucky you might get a tub of food in exchange for them.
Once I'd learned this I stopped trying to save the fry and just left the holding females in the main tank.Only 2 fry survived in the main tank out of dozens of broods.Sometimes I had as many as 10 females holding at once.

Back
Top Bottom