10 gal nano reef holdover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
i want a big tank.
But in the mean time, i will be getting a fowlr 10 gal nano reef
i will be getting 2 ocellaris and a dottyback
i will get a 10 gal 4 10 bucks (petco) basic heater filter hood lights, a few hermits
how how do i cycle a 10 gal and shoud i leave the filter running while doing it

if i buy premade salt water from petco will there be a cycle

Pre made saltwater doesn't cycle your tank. You add live rock and an ammonia source to cycle your tank. :)

exactly there needs to be a source of ammonia which pre made sw wont have go back to the store or online and pick up a reef testing kit from API, and some pure ammonia from ACE, or do the shrimp method which is easier but less accurate either way its gonna take around 30 days to complete. check for the cycle articles on this forum the are very informative

PLEASE i need answers, i will start buying tomorow.

Two clowns won't work in a 10 gallon. I'm not sure about the dottyback. And there isn't really a way to speed up the cycle. It takes weeks.

the clowns will be small and there 4 6 weeks max.... on live aqueria they are classifyed as nano fish

ya but they will be small and in there for no more than 6 weeks

Fish grow at a pretty fast rate if you take care of your tank properly.
If you want fish do one clown only. Dottybacks get very very aggressive.
Don't buy any fish until your tank is properly cycled.

Are you going to use ammonia or shrimp to cycle your tank? While your tank is cycling you can do more research to make sure what we are saying is right about the stocking options.

Clowns get very aggressive when they start determining who the male and who the female is going to be, A 19 gallon will not give the one that will be male enough space to get away from the female and will probably end up dead.

Proper cycling takes time, Even if you use all sand and rock from someones tank it will take a week or two before you can add fish

I feel bad for the fish. You have not done enough research and have already planned on buying the equipment. You need a tank, light, powerheads, filter, heater, sand, salt, live rock, test kit, net, thermometer.

Buying water from Petco in my opinion is a bad idea since none of their fish seem to be in good health as it is. The water has not been run through there systems but I wouldn't trust them enough to mix the water correctly. Even if they did you need to cycle the tank which with a shrimp can take up to 2-4 weeks. The shrimp is bought from the grocery story btw and not sacrificing a live shrimp. Please read more about aquariums before purchasing anything.

Back
Top Bottom