10 gallon fowlr any ideas for something really cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wanting to start a 10 gallon nano fowlr any ideas for really cool stocking ideas I don't like inverts or shrimp or that kind of stuff unless it has unreal colors let me know what you think I can do thanks in advance

Pair of Harlequins!

As far as FOWLR fish I can't think of many that would be out of the ordinary unless you like certain anglers

iDream said:
Pair of Harlequins!

As far as FOWLR fish I can't think of many that would be out of the ordinary unless you like certain anglers

The fish don't have to be out of the ordinary just nice looking fish I ment for inverts or shrimp they would have to look awesome

Harlequin shrimp are awesome!

If you wanted to go that route a sweet reef with a pair of neon gobies would be awesome

iDream said:
Harlequin shrimp are awesome!

If you wanted to go that route a sweet reef with a pair of neon gobies would be awesome

How many pounds of live rock will I need for my ten gallon also being new to sw what does reef mean? lol

10 gallon build thread ideas and input welcome

So guys first off iam wondering how many pounds of live rock I will be needing and a good substrate for fish I was thinking fire goby or neon goby or I might go to harlequin shrimp does anyone know if the shrimp will get along with either fish I like these options cause of the colors and I have friends that had great success with fire goby in a nano

I was also thinking a seahorse tank is there any small one that I can get as a pair in my tank they would be the only thing in there of course

Meh, don't worry about a seahorse tank. If you get harlequins you need starfish, so pretty expensive in the long run. If you have nowhere to keep regenerating the limbs of a chocolate star you'll have to make runs to your LFS for starfish to buy at ~$10 a piece and feed them to the shrimp. Neon gobys are a good idea, as are having something like a sailfin goby and its partner shrimp.

Aside from that, lots of Zoanthids, Palthoas, etc. would make an attractive display once fully covering the rocks. I'm pretty much doing this in my 24, though I do have a bit of Montipora at the very top. But yea, you can make a really neat display with zoos, and their ease of care makes them worry free.

Ok I heard they were pricey to feed but I am leaning more twowards a couple neon goby and a fire goby what so these fish need other then live rock ?

They would do just fine, but they would look way cooler in a reef :)

For them I'd advise only about a pound of rock per gallong of water so you can always see them, they're fairly small fish

ryan-peddle said:
I was also thinking a seahorse tank is there any small one that I can get as a pair in my tank they would be the only thing in there of course

Seahorses need a species only tank IMO. The smallest they go is a pair of kudas, but they need 15 gallons per pair.

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
So guys first off iam wondering how many pounds of live rock I will be needing and a good substrate for fish I was thinking fire goby or neon goby or I might go to harlequin shrimp does anyone know if the shrimp will get along with either fish I like these options cause of the colors and I have friends that had great success with fire goby in a nano

harlequin shrimp do best as a mated a pair. You will also need to keep proper iodine levels, because like any shrimp, FW or SW, they need the iodine to encourage proper molting.

Last edited:
Yupp for sure Ian getting one firefish there is a ton of names for them out there I believe it's a purple firefish others say some type of goby but I know what Iam looking for lol plus two mated neon goby so for these three fish I should get 10 pounds of live rock? And how many pounds of sand iam getting actual Hawaiian black sand on ebay

10lbs would be fine IMO, but I do prefer a shallower sandbed.

You could do more rock, but IMO they would look better with a minimalist scape.

Back
Top Bottom