10g Pre-Build lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well sorry to let you guys down but it looks like I'm not going to be able to do this tank. Finding lighting for a 2.5g is almost impossible excluding that one fixture that could easily get discontinued as well as the bulbs and where would that leave me...

Then if I got the 10g, Every 6 months it would be about 20 bucks or so for salt and then every 9-12 months I have to buy 2 $17 bulbs and then there's $7.99 for shipping and $10 for handling. That would be about $60 and I'm not sure I could afford that every year, especially on top of the salt. Hopefully some day in the future I'll be able to do a sw tank, but I don't think now is the time. Sorry for letting you guys down but I don't want to start something that I might not be able to run in the long run. Thanks everyone for all the info tho, I'll be sure to keep it in mind whenever I can start a sw tank.

I know, I wish SW wasn't so expensive to keep up. In the long run it is probably about the same as FW but all the extras are too much for me to afford right now too. As far as FW stuff I have just been slowly buying little things here and there. I think for SW the most expensive part for me would be the stuff to mix the SW or getting RO water. Sorry if this doesn't make sense I am not quite sure what I am talking about lol. As far as I have read you need to mix your own water. What about sumps and all that too? Do you actually need those? I don't even know what they do lol. Plus the fish are pretty expensive, and I would want to make sure I could keep them alive. I think the blennies are really cool!

well you can have a sump on any size tank, but they aren't really necessary, although if I every got one over 30g I'd probably make a sump.

Thanks nemo. Not sure if I'll have a fuge because of my low budget, but maybe a little after I get a tank started, I might get one. and those gobies seem really cool. It would be even awesomer if I could get a goby/shrimp pair :D lol but there's always a chance they won't pair or split up if bought as a pair.

Oh, also wanted to say that I have an RO unit. Not sure if its DI but it is Reverse Osmosis. Its a small unit but its better than nothing, I guess.
lol yeah my fuge wont be set up when i first do the tank. and yeah! thatd be awesome if you could get a pair! :)

and i just read the full thread sorry about not being able to do one! maybe when i upgrade my 2g to a 10 ill send you my 2g :)

did you think about with the 10g using a 10g hood with sprial flourscents? you can put to 40 watt bulbs in there being they only use 15 watts of power but they will put out 80 watts over the 10g its cheaper and more watts :)

well thats the only flaw ive had with it they wont in those type of clfs. they do make them in standard 15 watt cfls though.. the only thing ive thought about was somehow adding leds or something. but then again a 2x18 watt light is just 57 bucks and the hood for a 10g is 30. 30 bucks more dont sound to bad..

Well I have an offer for a 2x18w for $20+shipping. I just don't think I'll be able to afford the replacement bulbs (~$60 every 9-12 months, including the shipping) on top of the salt and any fish food, etc.

why dont you just do a fowlr until you get the hang of everything (and a job to pay for the bulbs, corals, etc)? I already told ya I've got alot of the stuff you need and its yours if you want it

Well I have an offer for a 2x18w for $20+shipping. I just don't think I'll be able to afford the replacement bulbs (~$60 every 9-12 months, including the shipping) on top of the salt and any fish food, etc.
wow thats a good offer!! id take that any day lol. and yeah SW tanks are expensive. which is the only reason i dont like them haha, but i love everything else about them :)

i have some salt ill ship you for just the price of shipping. i decided to use another type. and ill more than likely have sand also but itd prob be cheaper to buy it, and when my corals start to grow i can frag you some :) lol youve helped me out before bro so i might as well offer what i have :)

mfdrookie516 said:
why dont you just do a fowlr until you get the hang of everything (and a job to pay for the bulbs, corals, etc)? I already told ya I've got alot of the stuff you need and its yours if you want it

Because I'm mainly in it for the coral lol. and there aren't many fish that could live happily in a sw 10g anyway.

When you're ready to buy an ATO, buy from here. Quality is great and the prices are cheap. A single in-tank float switch should be all you need.

AutoTopoff.com

i have some salt ill ship you for just the price of shipping. i decided to use another type. and ill more than likely have sand also but itd prob be cheaper to buy it, and when my corals start to grow i can frag you some :) lol youve helped me out before bro so i might as well offer what i have :)

not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth lol, but how much salt?

Btw I looked at another site and they had the same bulbs and it would be $40.73 which is still a lot but better than $60. So does anyone know if MarineandReef.com is any good?

Marineandreef is excellent. That is where i bought my nova extreme pro from when i had my 55G tank. Great site and fast shipping.

Back
Top Bottom