10gal ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WP, that's Caulerpa sp. macroalgae. There are lots of different species. They are the ones easiset to grow in our home aquariums.

mrfunk, $8 a lb is pretty good actually. Have you seen Hara's tank? She has black sand. Check out the showcase forum.

I might go with sand, it depends on how much money i have left after christmas(when this project will begin)

I like how this is goin. I might not put as much LR in are recommended bsince it is so expenive. I will probably buy just three chunks or so.

For livestock i am thinking
1- Royal Gramma Basslet
1- clown goby of some sort
3- Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
1- shrimp of some sort

this sounds overstocked, but i really want a Royal Gramma Basslet but could care less about anything else other than the hermits.

Why do you guys think?

your list sounds fine, as for the LR get around 6-7LBS if you get corals then you will make up the rest as corals are usually attached to LR . I have also heard of getting lava rock and seeding it not sure on the lava rock if this is a good idea or not . Check with other boards ect for folks selling LR you could always get a tote bin with salt water , heater and a power head to keep it going it shouldnt hurt it any . And your new LR will reseed it for you. :) I HTH ya :)

Your stocking list seems fine as for fish .
As for the sand you can get dry sand pre wet it so that it sinks with less going into the impellar . Then seed it with a bit of live sand from an already established tank or 2 most will give you a cup or so for free. Your LR will also aid in seeding your live sand as well .
As for the LR I have heard of others using lava rock and LR to cut down on cost the LR will seed the lava rock . I am unsure if lava rock is safe tho.
If you get corals they usually come attached to LR so that will help make up the rest ...
Check on other boards and here for LR for sale as some folks tear down a tank and sell it relatively cheep.
You could also buy some live rock keep it in a bin with a heater and power head for circulation so that you could buy some now and buy the rest later so that you dont hit the wallet all at once ... It should not hurt the LR any and will reseed when you add any extra LR .
I have LR sitting in a bin with just a power head I tested it and it did cycle out so now I can add it if I need to , to any of my tanks with minimal problems .
Hope this was a bit better explanation for you ;)

ok, the plan was temporarily off, now its on again. I am getting a large FW tank this weekend so i will have a 10gal free. I want live rock only with inverts. 2 fire shrimp, and 2 blue legged hermits. Maybe another something somewhere down the line. I have a HOB filter, i will have another powerhaed. I plan on 3 pounds of LR at first then i will get additional LR after. Barebottom tank.

Uh, i think thats all i need to cover

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
Don't skip on live rock that is your foundation for your biological filter .
If you need to add to it later on you risk putting your tank through another cycle , and with having inverts this could be deadly (another cycle) ... if you can't do all your live rock now get some now get some later is fine as long as you have no live critters.Also and you probably know this but make sure your tank is cycled before adding any critters ;)

Agree. I would look into some more liverock if you can swing it. Definitley will be better and it's usually not good to add liverock to a tank with livestock in it.

What'd ya decide to put on the bottom of your tank?

Lol, Sadie. I meant to cover the glass with, so the rocks have something to sit on and won't scrath anything. Guess they really don't NEED a cover for the glass, but I always thought there should be one and all the barebottom tanks I've seen have some sort of protection on the glass.

Shoulda worded that better. :)

yea but at the expense of poor wording I got a good laugh ... :lol:
yes pics lots of pics (y)

ok, i am planning on doing a log of the setup.

Actually, can i just use normal gravel for the bottom of the tank. That would be alot easier. I like the look of barebottom tanks though, hmm. Could i just use sponge of some sort, or some of that foam sheet stuff?

It will only have 2 11w NO CF bulbs. Thats why i want it to only have live rock.

I'm gettin excited to do this!

WaterPond said:
ok, i am planning on doing a log of the setup.

Actually, can i just use normal gravel for the bottom of the tank. That would be alot easier. I like the look of barebottom tanks though, hmm. Could i just use sponge of some sort, or some of that foam sheet stuff?

It will only have 2 11w NO CF bulbs. Thats why i want it to only have live rock.

I'm gettin excited to do this!
I would not use the gravel as that will trap ditrus and cause nitrAtes and phosphates to rise there by giving you the possibility of an algae out break ....
As for the sponge same answer as above . Perhaps you could get some star board or maybe sprinkle some sand in some epoxy... if that dosen't work perhaps a cutting board to line it cut to size ... I have only had one BB tank , and I mixed sand into epoxy for the look of sand but it was permeant and solid

*BUMP* Plans are still on. I have all of christmas break to work things out. I set up my 50gal FW, so my 10gal is free for SW!!!

What about black geosystems sand? http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=109&PROD_ID=01126490010101 that stuff, or will this stuff trap the gunk too much, if so, i will go with BB

I just am thinking of how much live rock again, i can probably only afford 4-5 pounds :(
enless you guys know of a place to get it cheap in southern ontario.

Uh, next, what type of salt, My LFS only hase instant ocean and kent marine salt. Which is better, Instant ocean is cheaper, so i think i will go with it.

Anything else i need to know, oh, and i need some good articles on cycling a SW tank, i have no idea how to go about it. Idiot term please too, me not so smart :p

i was plannign on going with the same sand in mine. i hve it in my cichlid tank right now and love it. to save some money u can use some base rock. u can usually get it for about 2-3 bucks a pound. its not live but will become live after some time.

i have a ton of base rock, it came with my 50gal.

ok, and here is another thing. I was at my LFS the other day and i was talking to the lady who was working that day about my plans. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA!!!! shut up lady, i know it is harder to take care of smaller tanks. She scolded me for even thinking of the idea.

My mom was in there with me too when al of this happened, now she is totally against the idea of a SW, She thinks i will just be setting myself up for disaster.

WEll, i am p-o'd I don't know what to do now.

Back
Top Bottom