15g long switch from fw to sw questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would really appreciate any opinions here. I was just told from a reliable source that the pfs I used is going to likely give me a significant algae issue due to silicants. Of course I don't want to have to change it, but if another sand is more suitable and will make that much of a difference, I will. Any others with experience with this?

You'll go through a diatom bloom regardless, once the tank is cycled... Whether it'll be worse because of the sand, I have no clue. I think you'll be fine. Lots of people use it, and lots of people make that silicate argument. I don't think, it's particularly true.

You'll go through a diatom bloom regardless, once the tank is cycled... Whether it'll be worse because of the sand, I have no clue. I think you'll be fine. Lots of people use it, and lots of people make that silicate argument. I don't think, it's particularly true.

Haha I wish I'd taken your advice from the start! :facepalm:

Haha I wish I'd taken your advice from the start! :facepalm:

The idea is the silica sand will somewhat dissolve releasing silicates in to the water... Also, it doesn't buffer like argonite would. I've also read about complaints that its to jagged or sharp compared to sea sand, and can potentially harm any sand sifting inhabitants... Again, this is all just reading I've done, other people's experience, not mine... If you do make the switch, I really like my caribsea fiji pink. It's not actually "pink" so to speak, but it does look really nice, has some cool purple specks hear and there... I love it.

The idea is the silica sand will somewhat dissolve releasing silicates in to the water... Also, it doesn't buffer like argonite would. I've also read about complaints that its to jagged or sharp compared to sea sand, and can potentially harm any sand sifting inhabitants... Again, this is all just reading I've done, other people's experience, not mine... If you do make the switch, I really like my caribsea fiji pink. It's not actually "pink" so to speak, but it does look really nice, has some cool purple specks hear and there... I love it.

Yeah I was checking that out on amazon. That will probably be what I do. Dang it. I'll never get that scape right lol.

Looks great!! Ideas for first corals?

Thanks! I'm working on my fish list now. I have so much to learn about the types of corals that I can have in this tank. I did switch the sand bed to live sand. I also made sure every piece that touches the bottom is actually on the bottom and not on the sand. Things are much more sturdy. There is plenty of space between the rock and the sides of the tank now too. I may rearrange some of the rock at the very top when I start adding coral, but this is what I have now.

Attachments

• image-3097457364.jpg
    image-3097457364.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 80
Looks great! How do you like the sand?

Thank you! I love it. It's the CaribSea aragonite Fiji pink you mentioned. Well worth the effort to switch to. The color is really nice and I'm sure it's more suitable for burrowers. I used nearly the entire 20lb bag. So that along with 18lbs of LR should have me ready for fish soon. My test kit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The rock I have is really mature so my cycling time should be short right?

I'm throwing this out there as a possible stock list. I'm leaning toward the black and white ocellaris clownfish rather than the regular orange type. I want a goby, either the green or yellow clown goby, or the Hi fin red banded if I can find one. Not sure how many gobies I can have in a 15L. I also want a firefish, but I didn't plan on putting a top on my tank. I could DIY a top using some sort of clear netting. I also plan to have a CUC. I am very diligent about weekly water changes. Of course I don't want to overstock, so can I add to or should I reduce my current idea?

The stock sounds okay... Maybe cut one of the fish out... I believe percula clowns stay a bit smaller than o s but are a bit more aggressive... I'd do a clown, some kind of small prawn goby that'll make a nice little burrow under your rocks, and a yellow clown goby, who'll perch up on rocks and coral. And your CUC, of course.

EDIT: I think most people make diy tops using window screen. Although, from my planted fw experience, I know this cuts PAR down 30-40%. Not sure if the same numbers go for actinic lighting, but I imagine it would. Just something to keep in mind when you're thinking coral.

Last edited:
The stock sounds okay... Maybe cut one of the fish out... I believe percula clowns stay a bit smaller than o s but are a bit more aggressive... I'd do a clown, some kind of small prawn goby that'll make a nice little burrow under your rocks, and a yellow clown goby, who'll perch up on rocks and coral. And your CUC, of course.

EDIT: I think most people make diy tops using window screen. Although, from my planted fw experience, I know this cuts PAR down 30-40%. Not sure if the same numbers go for actinic lighting, but I imagine it would. Just something to keep in mind when you're thinking coral.

That's a concern of mine too. I already have an egg crate light panel cut to fit, but I noticed it definitely reduces light. So that's out of the question. I found some really thin, clear plastic .5" mesh online, but I'd have to make a frame for it. Anyway, I'll probably just stick with a clown, gobies, and a nice CUC.

That's a concern of mine too. I already have an egg crate light panel cut to fit, but I noticed it definitely reduces light. So that's out of the question. I found some really thin, clear plastic .5" mesh online, but I'd have to make a frame for it. Anyway, I'll probably just stick with a clown, gobies, and a nice CUC.

Sounds cool. They'll be fun to watch! :)

You can buy screen top kits from bulk reef supply and there is minimal effect on lighting.

To save money I just bought the screening from bulk reef suplly and went to lowes for the spline, edges and splining scroll tool. Cost me about $40 to do 3 screens to cover a 6 foot tank. And I have enough left to make 2 more 24" screens

To save money I just bought the screening from bulk reef suplly and went to lowes for the spline, edges and splining scroll tool. Cost me about $40 to do 3 screens to cover a 6 foot tank. And I have enough left to make 2 more 24" screens

Nice!! I'm all about DIY. What did type of material did you use to make the frame?

Lowes sells screen edges, long metal pieces that are made for screening. They cost me $3 each and are 6 feet or 5 feet long. The major expense was buying the corners for the screens which were 4 for $2.50 i believe and I needed 12. lol Just go to home depot or lowes and look in the screening replacement section. They even have the fiberglass screening but it was like $10.

Lowes sells screen edges, long metal pieces that are made for screening. They cost me $3 each and are 6 feet or 5 feet long. The major expense was buying the corners for the screens which were 4 for $2.50 i believe and I needed 12. lol Just go to home depot or lowes and look in the screening replacement section. They even have the fiberglass screening but it was like $10.

Thanks! I'm almost ready to start adding fish and I'll feel a lot better about having a top on such a shallow tank.

Back
Top Bottom