17G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey i got that bad anemone.. aspita or something like that. how do i get rid of it??

There are many different ways of getting rid of aiptasia. My favorite way is taking pickling lime, mix a little hot water with it, and either smother the aiptasia with the paste or inject it into the stalk with a syringe. There are also products like Joe's Juice and Aiptasia-Exit that will get rid of them for you.

whats the best and most effective way to do it?? cause some of the aiptasia is on the side of the rock or rather in between cracks... so when i come near them they shrink up.

I had one that my peppermint shrimp didn't want to mess with for some reason they left that one maybe they were going to use it as a aiptasia farm, I don't know. I tried to get it with a needle and joes juice I gave up took the rock out and used a lighter to burn it. So far no more aiptasia.

i cant really do that because i got other coral living on the rocks... im gonna try a peppermint today, let it go for a week or so and if there are still around then ill use some lemon juice.

how long do you think it would take to get rid of them? i have maybe 5 or 6 of them in various places.

I had 3 in my tank and several dozen aiptasia and they took care of the problem in less than a week. I watched and 2 would attack while the third one would like watch the fish if the fish came near they would retreat. My fish don't bother them but they thought they would. Some used a soldering iron to burn them but my son hid his :rolleyes:can't image why he would actually do such a thing.

haha cool. i dont think im gonan get three shrimp tho. i think one might do it. i hope hah

so i got a peppermint shrimp and its not eating the aiptasia...

yeah, its kind of hit and mis with those guys. sometimes they will and sometimes they will not. it can be SO frustrating. i reccomend the pickling lime method mentioned before. its easier than going out to find the other stuff. you can et the pickling lime stuff at your grocery store most likely.

this is my new tank so far. has about imaybe 8 pounds of rock and xenia in it with a blue damsel. just wondering whast the brown stuff on the sand?? and i checked the water
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ph 8.2-8.4
i got a hangon filter. forgot what is it. will check when i get home. i got a heater and will be switching it outwith my stealth heater from my 14g tank when everything is out of there. i have a nano power head and aqualite. i dont know if i need anything else. any suggestion?

Attachments

• DSCN1796.jpg
    DSCN1796.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1800.jpg
    DSCN1800.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1799.jpg
    DSCN1799.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1797.jpg
    DSCN1797.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 50
It's "acclimate" not accumulate :). If the water properties of the 14G and 17G are exactly the same then no.. you do not have to acclimate them. However.. if the readings are off in the 17G even by one or two points.. acclimating them would be ideal for the overall health of your livestock.

Also, the brown stuff you see on the sand is diatoms. Their appearance is part of the whole "new tank" thing. They feed off of the silicates in your tank. So if you use RO water, they will eventually burn themselves out and will disappear. Some times it takes days, other times it takes weeks. For me it took a week total for them to be completely eradicated. However, if you are using regular tap water in your tank, and the tap water has silicates present.. then you won't ever get rid of them. They spread rapidly even off of minuscule amounts of silicates. And if you are using tap water.. diatoms are going to be the least of your problems down the road.. honestly.

sorry ahaha well the tanks param of the 14 and 17 are the same. but the salt level and the temp is a bit off on the 17 from the 14. so ill acclimate them ahah and i am using tap water i dont have ro water... its not cost effective for myself as i am a university student. so i got a tap water solution that i put in everytime i do water changes.

Back
Top Bottom