20 Gallon Reef- updated 12/11/2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well I think it looks fine... looks a little green but it might just be because of the light that you have shining on it. I diddnt wash my aragrite sand.... I just dumped it in LOL.

The bad said to not was it thouroughly, just rinse it. Its been almost 19 hours since i added it. Its not showing too many signs of clearing.

Yeah, i cant stand using flas on my tanks so i just took my reading light and attached it there so i could take the pics.

My new light fixture should get here in a few days, along with my skimmer. Once everything is hooked up,and the water is cleared i will begin my cycle!

Don't worry, it will clear up. I rinsed 240Lbs of sans six time with each 30Lbs bag and mine still looked like that.

I was right to trust you guys! i was just about frusterated enough to get out the siphon and a do water change. HAHA

ok, so i have a few questions

-should i get a test kit? Or should i trust my LFS to do tests?

-What other types of seafood wil work to start a cycle. I lost one of my FW fish today (my poor boesemani rainbowfish) and was thinking of throwing him in there, but that sounded cruel, so i flushed him(much better, huh?) :(

-My temperature is holding steady at about 77-78F, is that fine?

-What should my SG be, its 1.024 right now. Too high, too low?

I think thats it for now. Here are some more picks of a fairly clear tank (still has a bit of clearing to do)

without flash

img_814272_0_9ace85e2c21b62c5fea0e7e77ab4ce51.jpg

img_814272_1_9fa8de0ab3c3a584613c2a69202478a1.jpg

With fish
-you can really tell what is live rock and what is BR

img_814272_2_e712e22fea20037cdefe5b0bc1c0ca2f.jpg

img_814272_3_2ab28fa6cd6dfa7e18d2412e4ebb0869.jpg

img_814272_4_70c06c1b4ba2d66abfdf2560b771eec1.jpg

So sorry for the gorrible pics, they will improve once i get my lights.

Jason im not trying to be mean, but I love the picture with fish and your gorriable pictures :lol:
just joking, I hope you know that! :wink:
Oh it looks awesome! Pictures are a must when you get the lights!!
:D

Your lfs should be able to test basic water quality: NH3, NO3, NO2, and pH. If you used base rock and/or uncured liverock then there should be enough bacteria to start a cycle; otherwise, a cocktail shrimp will suffice. Temperature is ok for now, but most recommend 80-84 for reef tanks due to a more natural state of motabalism throughout the tank. Natural seawater ranges from about 34-37ppt, which puts you in that range, give or take.

ok, i can turn up the heat. Thats just the heat i was staying stable at. The equiptment heats the water just a little bit, so thats what it seems to heat it up to. I will turn it up a bit more in a bit.

So... i realy don;t know if i used cured live rock or uncured, would i know by looking at it, how can i tell which is which? Should i tust my LR to do the cycle or can i add a piece of shrimp anyways to make sure i am cycling?

I'm going to invest in a test kit. That way it saves driving all the way into town to get my water tested, even though we go into town almost every other day. And that way incase of an emergency i can know exactly what going on.

Thanks for the help. More pics to come when the light and skimmer get here.

it smelled like the ocean.

And Houston (aka Mr. Nosey- lol) aquariumguys.com cancelled our order for some reason and i still have to contact them about it. Which is ok, because they are idiots (sorry to say). They didn't get the right shipping adress, they didnt get the right name (the spelled my name wrong, even when i spelled it out for them over the phone). And they sent us am email saying they were shipping it to "Supreme Communication Centre" when our mailbox is at "Superior Communication centre". Another thing we spelled out for them.

I will be calling to make sure my order is cancelled and then i will order from a canadian website, which chages a little more, but oh well. I dont really want to skimp out on my frist saltwater tank. Dont want any bad expereinces to scare me away from it.

Today i went to the LFS and bought a background. My pics look better now, because the comera focusses on the tank instead of the wall behind the tank. I think its starting to all come together.

img_814376_0_8a406e8e1f18a3563c2d0eb05aeb0899.jpg

nope, not anymore. I just ordered from a canadian website. A little more money but it only works out to be about a $20 difference after the exchange. I bought from bigals canada. I've bought from them many times before and they are just great. Everything always gets here so fast too.

I didn't order a skimmer though because a few people have told me the fission nano was a piece of crap. I need a skimmer under $60 though. Any pointers?

Lights should be here by friday (hopefully). Im so excited, just wish things worked out better with the other place.

I'm not using a skimmer on either my 2.5 or my 15. If you're diligent about water changes, then that can take care of nutrient export without adding a skimmer. I've also heard the Fission nano skimmer sucks... actually, the only good reviews I've read about nano skimmers were for the Tunze and Remora nano- unfortunately, neither of those will fall under the $60 range, probably not even a used one. I guess if you're totally sold on buying a skimmer, you might try Ebay, or I don't know if Canada has craigslist.org, but if so take a look.

haha, sheesh, we aren't savages. We have craigslist (and something called kijiji which is very similar) and we have ebay canada. I can buy anything off ebay, and anything from an american company not run by idiots :)

That one looks good Houston. Anyone have any input on if it is good or not? I might see how things go without it.

What does a skimmer do actually, im stupid, dont even know. I was just told they are a necessity for a reef tank.

I don't run a skimmer on my 10gal with no troubles . I have an AC110 filter modded to be a HOB fuge and that keeps nitrates at 0 . I read(did alot) that for a smaller tank a skimmer is not that useful and ones that were also removed good things as well .

Jason, honestly... I wouldn't worry about a skimmer on a 10 gallon. Don't really need one and most "nano" skimmers are junk. Keep up on water changes and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom