20 gallon long rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
[FONT=&quot]My old 20 gallon setup was just getting wrecked. loaded with BB algae, wrong plants overtaking, right plants choking out, blah blah.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Decided to pull it all out and redo the entire thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ditched the black diamond substrate for white pool sand. Hopefully it doesnt become a gross mess. Ditched the sag grass for hair grass (hopefully it carpets this time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Got rid of TON of plants and just kept what I wanted. Plan on potting some so they dont over grow again and start to kill the carpet. ditched wood and opted for just rocks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cleaned everything with peroxide and bleach to kill the algae. Then rinsed everything off REAL good. let sit outside for a week+ and then wiped out with prime water just to hope all the bleach is gone. I dont smell any so I hope its alright. Kept my filter media alive in the holding tank but I think on re inserting it in the filter and running it might have started a slight re cycle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I placed 2 of my guppies and a couple crays in the tank to be sure. I know it sucks to use them as canaries but id prefer to lose one or two over most of the others and I plan on removing a lot anyway. I want fewer fish TBH. I did lose 1 of the guppies but I think they were sick anyway and it was more the drastic repeated changes over anything else. I loaded the sub with live blackworms and they seem to be thriving so I figure if it was the water they would be spazzing out. I will test the water tonight of tomorrow. Been super busy so I couldnt yet. I think Ill test and do a water change. Once I know its all safe Ill move the fish I want and bring the rest to the LFS. Im looking at keeping my dwarf powder gourami, neons, BB goby, maybe my last pea pufer or ill make a self tank for him. I think it looks good.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]any thoughts?[/FONT]

Attachments

• PXL_20230606_013354934.jpg
    PXL_20230606_013354934.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 42
Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms. They regularly carry the Gourami Iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be cured and once in the tank, the disease is there until you disinfect everything. There are other small gouramis that don't normally carry these diseases and you might be better off with them.

Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms. They regularly carry the Gourami Iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be cured and once in the tank, the disease is there until you disinfect everything. There are other small gouramis that don't normally carry these diseases and you might be better off with them.

Bit late I've had him a while now

Back
Top Bottom