29gl new build tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had my tank with three live rocks in there for a few days now. All going well desperate to have some thing alive in there!!! Any ideas!!

Definitely going to have to wait for the cycle. If I've learned anything in the past few months in this hobby, it's patience... :)

My live rocks had red alge on which I was told was good? But a day later they are quickly being covered in green alge it's quite fluffy. Should i do any thing tank has been running for just over a day.

Do you have any pictures of the algae? If so, they can help us identify the kind of algae you are talking about. :) Basically there are two kinds of algae. The good kind is called macroalgae, which can absorb things that you don't want in your aquarium like nitrates. On the other hand, there is annoying types of algae called microalgae. Microalgae is normally invasive and needs to be kept in check. Microalgae can occur due to poor water conditions, overfeeding etc. :)

Just attached a couple of pictures. Not got any thing else apart from live rock in there currently. Thank you.

My live rocks had red alge on which I was told was good? But a day later they are quickly being covered in green alge it's quite fluffy. Should i do any thing tank has been running for just over a day.

There are good types of red algae and there are bad types. An example of a bad type of algae would be Cyanobacteria, which looks like red slime.

The fluffy algae that you are talking about could be hair algae, which is a nuisance.

At this point, I am not sure that I would do anything since the tank was just setup.

:)

Ok thank you will keep an eye on it. This is my first marine tank just desperate to get some thing alive in there!!

Looks like in some weird way, you do have...something...alive in there. ;). Welcome to the wonderful world of extreme patience and, at times, utter frustration! :) The tank looks great! Your well on your way!

Ok thank you. Got some short pink hard things on my rock too...

The bubble algae, watch out for it. Idk how fast it will spread if left alone but if you try to get in out and bust it, the thing will release spores and spread that way. I've heard some people get it off while doing water changes and suck up the spores with the siphon. I think there's some crab that will eat it as well.

Back
Top Bottom