3 gal nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was thinking of setting up a Marineland Eclipse 3 System, which is three gallons to bring with me to college. so heres what im thinking:

3 lbs LR
2 in LS
comes with biowheel marineland built in (35GPH)
Coralife Mini Compact 50/50 Lamp 20 Watt (or do we think 10 watt?)
Hagen Mini Thermal Compact 25Watt
1 peppermint shrimp
2 snails (nassisarus or perhaps try an additional bumblebee)
2 scarlet hermit crabs
feather duster or two

any way you guys think i could get away with a fish? perhaps a yellow clown goby, from what ive read they stay around an inch and a half to two inches.

maybe i should go with the six gallon model, but im trying to think what would be easiest for transportation here...

also, any food is going to have to be flake or freeze dried, im not going to have acess to a fridge.

and ive heard bad things about IO salt for small aquariums. is red sea better? is there anything else you guys would suggest?

and i dont know if the filter on there will provide sufficient water movement, but im not sure how i could remedy that, im not gonna go all ghetto and put an air pump in there...

i just hope my roommate is prepaired for me and my tank!

is this your first SW tank? if yes that is a really small tank to get started with. the levels will jump around a lot. and it may be hard to get them to the point they need to be.

A 3 gallon is do-able with a low bioload and frequent water changes and constant monitoring of water chemistry. I don't know of any SW fish I would put in a 3 gallon tank. Even a yellow watchman likes to swim around. Take a look at some of the members tanks at nano-reef.com, if I recall there's lots of folks there that have some real small reef tanks. Although watch what you ask if you post, some folks there can get mean lol

yea this isnt my first tank, i already have two happily running. and i wasnt thinking yellow watchman, it was yellow clown- which is much smaller than the watchman, but if the swimming around thing is true of all gobies then i guess im SOL...

no other suggestions about equipment or nething?

Back
Top Bottom