3gal Nano build...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good evening everyone!

I figured I would start a little Q/A thread along with some build notes I am doing.

First things first... I recently put together a 30g tank with my girlfriend Lynn. We're in the process of doing a slow build, while we're all finished cycling. We're getting ready to add 2 fish today, along with the yellow Watchmen we have in there now.

Anyhow, I have cleaned out my smaller 3 gallon today as I am going to start over and make it a coral only tank. I have been bugging the crap out of Carey via PM, so I figured, I'd get the entire group involved with this one! :)

I have a TOM Aquarium Deco Kit - 3gal Aquarium Kit with a Biowheel upgrade that I changed out the day i bought the kit. It came with an 18 watt 50/50 bulb that features a 7400K on one half and 14000K true actinic on the other.

I know there is a calculation for wattage per gallon so this would give me 6 watts per gallon which should be more then enough. So, what I'm planning is to get some active sand, between 3 - 5lbs of live rock, and some water and allow it to cycle for a few weeks, while of course running the regular tests.

Now the round of Questions:

1) I'm looking to go with soft corals, with some nice color... anyone have any suggestions for such a small area?

2) I am not planning on adding fish to this build, maybe just a small Cleaning Crew, with a shrimp and a couple snails. Would this be a problem? I'm not wanting to add fix, because I don't want to have too much of a bio-load on the tank, if any at all!

3) will the coral survive with out any inhabitants?

4) Is there anything I should worry about, with no bio-load in the tank???

Thanks for the help! :eek:)

I can answer 2 or 3 of your 4 questions!
1) mushrooms are always pretty or are you talking about SPS?

2) I don't think their would be any problem, except maybe running out of things to eat?
I know hermits eat waste and stuff and whatever food is left on the sand, but not sure what all else. I'm not a complete expert but I like helping haha so I figure I'd give you an idea

3) yes, as far as I know the corals will be great without having any fish swimming around to stress them out

An the fourth question I can't help you on sorry, I have no idea...I don't think it would be but I'm not even 20% sure haha good luck though!
An I will follow along with your build

So I started the 3 gal last night...

cleaned it all out on Friday night, let it sit out in the sun for 2 days to allow any bacteria or anything left to die off. Last night I added about 2 - 2.5 inches of Fiji Pink sand/substrate. added 5 lbs of Purple live rock (donated from a friend). Got ride of the original "TOMS" filter and threw in the Biowheel that I had left from another project. I had the modify the lid a bit, to fit the Biowheel, so now it fits nice and snug!

Here are some Pics.

61346-albums9406-picture37228.png

61346-albums9406-picture37229.png

61346-albums9406-picture37230.png

61346-albums9406-picture37231.png

61346-albums9406-picture37232.png

Last edited:
The lamp that is in the image is my 13w emergency lamp. I am waiting for the replacement Toms 18w 50/50 bulb since this one apparently was burned out.

But now we're all set. I'm going to continue to run tests on it for the next 2 weeks before I start adding any coral. add a clean up crew after a week or so, then we'll go from there... I'll start posted test results as they come in....

I received the new 50/50 lamp last night, and hooked up up to the tank, so its 100x brighter then the temp lamp, but I'm keeping it off as I'm still cycling the tank. I will post some picture tonight of the 3g with the new lamp, after i top off the water.

Glad to hear just coral! As far as small coral I don't know. I think some mushrooms and ployps would be a good start.

well this used to be a fowlr, I have a O.C. and YWM with a tiger pistol... it was great! lasted about a year, then we upgraded to my 30 gallon!

So this go around, I wanted to get like a nice colorful Coral or something cool to just show off! maybe have a cleaner shrimp or some mini cuc in there.

Back
Top Bottom