6 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buhajer2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Am new here and i need help.
I got 6 g and am planning to keep same corals and one fish, plus a goby. I was thinking of six line wrasse.
Its 12 day tank, my parameters ammo 0.25 ,nitri 0 and nitrate 0. Is my cycle done. I used livesand, 1.5 kg liverock and i will add more of it later asap when i get a good looking one. A damsel to help the tank cycling. After i will trade it in lfs.

Hi all. Am new here and i need help.
I got 6 g and am planning to keep same corals and one fish, plus a goby. I was thinking of six line wrasse.
Its 12 day tank, my parameters ammo 0.25 ,nitri 0 and nitrate 0. Is my cycle done. I used livesand, 1.5 kg liverock and i will add more of it later asap when i get a good looking one. A damsel to help the tank cycling. After i will trade it in lfs.

First - The damsel
Damsels should never be put in a tank less than 30 gallons and depending on the species they need larger. They absolutely need a bigger tank than a 6g. Aside from tank size issues, using one to cycle a tank is a terrible practice. You can much more easily use pure ammonia which will be 100% humane without chances of killing or harming the fish.

Second - Planned stock
Six line wrasses also need a 30g tank. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Six Line Wrasse - Reef Safe Wrasses

The smallest goby will need a 10g tank as well.

Your best bet for a tank that size is to go with some inverts and corals. It won't safely fit any fish in it.

Take a look here.
Cycling a Saltwater Aquarium

Thanks. But what kind of inverts i can keep and the numbers. Safe for reef tank.

I wd like to keep one fish only so i can see it swimming around.

There's a bunch of inverts you could have.

Banded coral shimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Blood red fire shrimp
Hermit Crabs
Some snails
Porcelain crab
Emerald crab

You could do 1 - 2 shrimp and probably 3 snails along with 3 more hermit crabs.

A 6 gallon tank is really too small for any fish. It would be akin to sticking a child in a closet for their entire lives. If you really wanted fish then I would suggest upgrading to a larger tank now rather than down the road when you eventually want to.

One last thing I feel I should touch on:
The smaller the tank is for saltwater the more difficult it gets to maintain. Parameters will swing MUCH faster in a small tank when compared to a larger and this isn't even counting for the salinity swings on a normal basis if there isn't an auto top off system in use.

Thanks again. Can u suggest me an auto top off system that i can use for my nano

I think i will make one, i got the idea from one site thanks a lot. But do i really need to use the skimmer. As a nano tank.

No on a tank that size you don't need a skimmer as long as you are consistent with wc's

If you are making your own just be sure to get high quality float valves. The worst thing that can happen is one of them gets stuck in the on position and floods your tank. You might want to use two of them to set up one to turn the pump off if the tank level gets too high.

No you don't need a skimmer on a tank this size assuming you aren't overstocking it.

What is your lighting system over this tank?

So my live sand and rock 1.6 kg is enough as filtration or i will need same filtration. But am looking to add more liverock in the future

No I would say 3 kgs would be best for you. If your not using any other form of filtration you may want a little more even

I would be surprised if more than 1 or 2 people on this forum are familiar with that particular light. I can't really give any insight on it.

Back
Top Bottom