Algae Problem in a 3gallon.. Any way to counter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just recently had an invasion of algae growing on the glass, some green and brown spots, and the dreaded Caulerpa that was hidden in my ball of Chaeto. Is there a good way of countering the algae growth? My snails are doing close to nothing. I checked all the parameters and there's a tint of phosphate in the water. I obviously don't have the room for a tang to eat away the algae so is there anything I could do on my end along with a water change?

what caulerpa is dreaded? some types of caulerpa are ok to use.
how about using phosphate removal media? "algone" phosphate pads should work for you.

what caulerpa is dreaded? some types of caulerpa are ok to use.
how about using phosphate removal media? "algone" phosphate pads should work for you.

I meant dreaded as in gong asexual and taking over the tank part. The phosphate and nitrate a removal is the upside of the invasion

ah. yeah, but that doesn't happen if you tend to it. i used caulerpa in all of my sumps for years and never had any issues.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what caused the caulerpa to go asexual. My parameters are pretty stable for a 3 gallon. I feed every other day so ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are at a constant 0. My phosphate is usually 0 but I have no idea where this excess of phosphate came from

I didn't go out and buy caulerpa. A little piece must've gotten tangled with the Chaeto when I bought those and now I'm seeing it grow on the back glass and other parts of the tank

yeah..i see what you wrote above, but this statement "Yeah I'm not quite sure what caused the caulerpa to go asexual" made me think it happened in your tank.
are you sure it's caulerpa? can you take a pic of it?

I took out as much as I could but I'm quite sure it was Caulerpa. I went to google and it looks like this

Attachments

• FeatherCaulerpaCloseup.jpg
    FeatherCaulerpaCloseup.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 77
It was really strange. I have an AC 50 with a 20 impeller that's boxed in so light wont go into the tank at night. After I saw the Caulerpa growing in the tank, I moved the box and saw a pretty big piece of it growing out of the Chaeto. It hasn't completely nuked the tank yet but there are places that it has decided to grow from, glass, sand bed, rocks.

Should I go ahead and put a bag of phosguard or something to deal with the growing green and brown algae spots on the glass?

how bad is the algae? everyone is going to get some algae growth on the glass that will need to be scraped off. do you have any snails in the tank? they do need something to eat.

Specks and splotches all over the glass. I have 3 snails, two of them are .5 inch turbos but seems as though they prefer cleaning the rocks than the glass.

how about a mag float or blade? seems easy enough to do every so often. everyone who owns a reef tank has to scrape their glass from time to time.

Just strapped a toothbrush to a stick and went at it. All thats left is small stubborn brown algae spots

If you are running cheato and you are still seeing phosphates then i would assume that is the root of the problem, phosban or chemipure elite or GFO would help, but in a 3 gallon a large water change would temporarily fix your issue. When you grow algae in your tank (or fuge) the macros should be able to handle all of your phosphate export unless something else is leaching it into the water column

Back
Top Bottom